MOT question

M

marsaday

I have a small van and i have removed the cage bit separating the driver area from the load area.

Does this mean it will fail the MOT ? I still have it in the garage, but prefer to drive without this dividing section.

Sponsored Links
If you carry any loose loads in the back, one day if you are ever in an accident, you will wish you had never removed it.

Sponsored Links
It failed on the brake load sensing valve linkage spring. apparently these springs are hard to get hold of. They want to sell you the whole unit. Any idea where i can get a spring from ?

Any old spring will do provided it's about the same size and thickness.

Provided it provides enough 'pull' to get the rear brakes on enough to pass the MOT then there's no reason to fail it.

yes ebay had one. Cheers all

ps. On the advisory section it mentions the rear brake efficiency only just passed and these need adjustment or repair.

What could be wrong with the brakes ?

yes ebay had one. Cheers all

ps. On the advisory section it mentions the rear brake efficiency only just passed and these need adjustment or repair.

What could be wrong with the brakes ?

It sounds like they need adjustment or repair :D

How can you say without stripping them down and taking a look? Handbrake or service (foot) brake? One wheel or both?

It is the mot which says they need adjustment or repair.

I also stated it was the rear brakes which were not working very well.

So if the rear brakes are only meeting minimum efficiency any ideas what is a usual culprit. Is it dust etc ? I have no idea hence asking.

I will get the mechanic to look this weekend though.

Cleaning and adjustment needed.....if the pedal travel has increased slightly over time, its always the rears at fault - and the self adjusters don't always, anyway!
Which van is it?
John :)

I also stated it was the rear brakes which were not working very well.

And that was noted.

So I ask again, was it one wheel or both that gave poor brake efficiency. And was that noted with the handbrake or the foot brake or both?

You can't really determine the cause without some better information. For instance if the handbrake is good, but both rear footbrakes are weak then that could point towards an under performing load sense valve - the valve that the tester failed it on originally which would make sense....

The only way is to get the rear up and the wheels and drums off. I'd hazard a guess that hasn't been done for some time as many people just ignore the (rear) brakes until they fail the MOT.

Ok thanks. The breaks were squeaking very badly when not used (when driving they were making a right noise) but i had them cleaned in August and the squeaking has gone. So i hope it is just this sensor.

All will reveal itself tomorrow i suppose.

The maximum the job is likely to be is to replace the shoes and maybe the wheel cylinders......sort of thing we do all the time and nowt to worry about.
John :)

Didn't the spring fix the brakes too? Usually these springs are part of the rear load sensing system and the idea is that when the car is lightly-laden, the valve allows very little brake pressure through to the rear brakes so that they don't lock up and cause you to spin if you have to brake hard. I think most of them "fail safe" so that if the spring breaks or comes off, it assumes you're lightly laden. If that's the case, just re-fitting the spring might also fix the rear brakes?

I definitely would NOT just use any old spring though. It might be fine, or it might not. If you end up with too much rear braking effort applied and lock the back end up, it'll pretty much guarantee a "brown trouser moment"...or worse!

Sponsored Links
Back