mot.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, my lad has booked his car in for his mot on this coming thursday/ but has now discovered its up on this tuesday, but cant get the day changed , he has got tax and insurence and doesnt want to go elsewhere/ wants to know will he be legal to drive it on thursday to mot station ?
regards. r.r.

Sponsored Links
A few days wont make much difference will it? If he's asked to produce docs by the cops (see what i did there?), his defence will be that he's got an MOT booked.

BTW, I booked mine in with a main dealer for the next morning. worth bearing in mind? And it was cheaper than the govt. recommended price. £40 they charged.

Once the MOT expires the only journey the car can make legally is to and from a pre-booked MOT at the test station.

:) yep, thanks for replies, will pass it on to me son/ it was the legal side he was worried about , just an afterthought i suppose he could have phoned the mot place ,
still i suppose it could be a case of me dad knows it all :) regards. r.r.

Sponsored Links
You can have an MOT done within one month of the previous MOT certificate expiring. That way you are still driving the car legally, and you are not tied to one particular date! I do it every year. Just remember to take the old MOT certificate with you.

Go here
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/index.htm

An MOT can be carried out at any time
If the vehicle is presented for test within the calendar month prior to the date that the MOT is due, the test certificate will run from the date of the test to one year after the expiry date of the current certificate for example if the current certificate was due to expire on 1 April 2003, and the vehicle was presented on or after 2 March 2003, the certificate would run from the test date until 1 April 2004.

To have this extension, the vehicle owner should present their old certificate to the test station to verify that the extra time is applicable.

The same rule would also apply if the vehicle was taken in within a calendar month of its first MOT. In this case, the vehicle owner would need to present their registration document.

If the vehicle is tested earlier than one month before its due date, the MOT will only run for twelve months.

Back