Motion Sensors for Alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am wondering does anyone know where I could get my hands on a colour coded diagram for wiring in motion sensors for my alarm.

In the instructions that came with the sensors it gives the voltage and I have no clue which of the 6 coloured wires is the correct voltage to connect to the motion sensor.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
AFAIK, it varies by installer preference. Look in the main panel to find which wire does what.

i agrre with crfty, but going by your question you are installing more, so agin with crafty, its your choice, just remeber to stick with what ever you choose

Hi folks,
I haven't found a solution to this problem yet.

Im not sure where the main panel is and what it would tell me.

What I did do is borrow a voltage meter and strip each of the 6 coloured wires and test their voltage, thinking that the voltage would match what it says on the installation instructions:
2 wires with 12 v
2 wires with 30 v
2 wires with 15 v
However the readings for each wire were the same as the last, variable between 0 - 30 v, no one wire had a constant voltage. So, I am stumped again. Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure you feel competent to do this work?

Why strip back cables?

Why not just access a PIR & put the voltmeter across terminals 12V & 0V?

That way you'll know what colours have been used too.

But it worries me when you say you can't find the panel...

I am a complete novice, but I do feel confident enough to try this work.

Is the Main pannel the main Fuse box?
What will this tell me?

or is it the Main pannel the main alarm panel?
This is not installed yet.

What has been installed is the Cables for the Alarm system (not by me).
1 cable in each room downstairs.
I wanted to wire these to PIR's I have purchased. Do you have to connect the Main Alarm pannel before connecting the PIR's?

I had the impression you were adding to a system, not installing from scratch.

Use whichever core you like.

I use the following:

Red: 12V

Black: 0V

Blue & Yellow: NC

Green & White: TAMP

So if the cables are not connected to anything, where were your voltages coming from?

I use the same colour codes as secure, there.

Why not follow the installation instructions athat come with the panel? If you haven't bought one yet, how do you know, for certain, that the PIRs are suitable?

As the PIRs use power, which is supplied by the panel, they cannot do anything until you have a panel, wire it up and power it.

Have you got a bell-box yet? :rolleyes:

Oh, and do you know which cable is which at the panel position?

The cables are connected to the mains (i am assuming).....
and have been run through the downstairs.
How come I could not read a constant voltage?

But you said the panel was not connected yet, so the cables cannot be either.

They SHOULD NOT be attached to the mains!!

We are talking about small diameter white cables with 6 coloured cores inside, aren't we??

ok folks,
We are talking about small diameter white cables with 6 coloured cores inside.

I do not have an alarm panel installed and there is voltage in these wires. Where would the voltage be coming from?

When I turn the mains off, there is no voltage running through the cables, when I turn it on, there is voltage running through the cables.

If these cables were installed for an alarm system they will all come together at a point where the main ALARM panel ( which is NOT the fuse box ) was intended to be fitted.

These cable should not be connected anywhere other than to component of the alarms system. under NO circumstance should they be conencted to or have mains voltage on them.

Wht you are reading is almost certianly an induced voltage due the alarm cables running close to mains cables.

First thing is to find where those alarm cables run and ensure they are intended as alarm cables. That way you will know where the main alarm panel will be as you need to fit that first. Who installed the cables ?

This is a new build, isn't it?

I just did one for a client. The panel position was not marked on the plan and the cables were not even in place. They were eventually found in the floor void above where they should have been... after the contractors had hacked away half the plasterboard in the hallway!

yes, new build.
developer installed the cables.

I think ill go searching for where these cables meet.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back