Motor replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know a good place to get a 0.75kw 3ph motor from? I am taking one in to be priced for a rewind tomor. I would like to reasearch how much a new motor is also.
Its Made by VED ELECTROMOTORENWERKE model ZGO KMR 71 G4.

Sponsored Links
Is it VEB ? If it is then it was made in East Germany

1305179-3.jpg

Some of the motors made by this state owned company had non standard shafts so finding an exact replacement may be difficult.

As a cost saving measure some of the motors this company made were wound with aluminium instead of copper.

Sponsored Links
Depending of course on what it drives and how the drive is connected, is a shaft adaptor and/or a different motor pulley an option, so that you could use standard cheap motors in future?

Yes, the label in one of the photos appears to mention a 22mm shaft, but I can't tell if that's the motor shaft or the gearbox output shaft. Either way, 19mm seems to be more common :(

Some people would be pleased to have a bigger than average shaft..... I'll get my coat

yes it is in fact VEB i thought the ddr had something to do with the east-west divide.

DDR Deutsche Demokratisch Republik ( East Germany )
VEB Volks Eigener Betrieb ( People owned business = state owned )

VEB Motorenwerke had several factories in the DDR. Thurm was one of them.

It is possible that the assets of VEB Motorenwerke were taken over by new management after the collapse of East Germany and the same motor or a matching replacement is still produced. If you have the rating plate and there is a town mentioned I can try and see if there is motor factory there that has info about your motor.

The plate I posted is from my motor. It looks as if mine was made in thurm too. Any info you could find out would be appreciated.

Sorry I didn't realise it was your plate. I will see if I can find out about the successor company to VEB M'Werke Thurm and if there is one I will mail them you plate and see what they advise.

PS I have sent you a PM

Thanks Bernard. I have had some sucsess I have contacted the company who bought VEB and have sourced a possible replacement. However my rewind man has quoted me £60 for new windings so I'm sure the jobs done. I will post the new company details here when I'm back home.

Thanks Bernard. I have had some sucsess I have contacted the company who bought VEB and have sourced a possible replacement. However my rewind man has quoted me £60 for new windings so I'm sure the jobs done. I will post the new company details here when I'm back home.

Thats cheap.

Our local place generally don't rewind anything where the replacement cost of the motor is sub £400, its more cost effective to replace the motor

£60 is far too cheap for a rewind. Assuming the 200rpm is the output speed the motor speed is likely to be a 4 pole, (1475rpm approx), and as its a 71 frame the motor output shaft will be 19mm.
For £60 they may just change the bearings and a test run. Look for a local motor sales depot and give them all the details on the name plate. If you have separated the motor from the gear box measure the shaft with a vernier or micrometer, not a ruler,and let them know the exact size. They should be able to supply an alternative standard motor and you will have the assurance of a 12 month guarantee. Cost will be a bit more than £60, maybe nearer £90-£120 tops but at least it will be a brand new one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back