motorised mid pisition valve diverter ( 3 port )

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can a 3 port valve get stuck and cause a permanent call for heat to the boiler preventing it from switching off.

i know that a 2 port valve can cause this problem but thats vecause its slightly different.

the reason for asking this question is because i had my boiler changed. since then it. 20 mins after the installer left, the boiler wont stop heating once ur turn it off at the programmer. the engineer thinks its due to the valve been stuck. which would make sense on a 2 port valve, however this valve has got stuck before with the old boiler and it didnt cause the boiler to stay running. it just heated the hotwater & raditators despite only asking for water to be heated.

Sponsored Links
f it's wired as a standard Y plan, then with the programmer off, there is no power to the valve or other components to cause the boiler to remain on. If the valve had jammed, this would not cause the boiler to remain on independently of the programmer.

Likely causes for the boiler to be on without the programmer are:
a. programmer failed internally - remove it from the backplate. If the boiler stops when the programmer is removed, the programmer is defective.

b. Frost thermostat causing system to be overridden. Not likely in June. If you have a frost thermostat, disconnecting it will confirm if it is the problem or not.

c. Other incorrect wiring of thermostats, programmer, etc. Given that your system worked properly before, this is unlikely (unless someone has tampered with the wiring, in which case anything is possible)

d. Incorrect wiring of the boiler, such as leaving a test link in place. Very likely if a new boiler has just been fitted.

Sponsored Links
old boiler was an icos ideal he 24.

the new boiler with the problem is vaillant eco tech plus 624. the plumber said he didnt alter the wiring for the programmer he just reused the old wires which went into the icos and connected them to the vaillant the wires were live, neutral, earth and 1 more which i dont know the name of.

flameport, Dan and mines suggestions cover all basis really. You need to get the installer back, not much else can be done here.

As you can see we are not very impressed with your installer.

I do hope that he is Gas Safe registered and he has completed the Benchmark Certificate AND that he will register the boiler installation with your Building Control department.

Don't forget that someone needs to send off the warrantee registration or do it on line!

Tony

I believe they are gas safe, they are accredited worcester boiler installer, that is how I got there details, because a worcester boiler would require a new gas line put in, I opted for the vaillant instead which they said they could install and didn't require the gas line to be changed, they offered a good price and were transparent about the process, which I liked because i've found a lot of the gas installers to get touchy when you ask them how much things are.

I did send the plumbers a link to this post yesterday, as I was hoping they would take a look and get involved with it, so not sure if they have seen it. They are coming back tomorrow ( Monday ) afternoon i'm hoping they can resolve it this time, it's been a week since the boiler has been installed.

I had one quote saying I didn't need 22mm pipe from an worcester accredited installer, all the other installers said this wasn't correct. I rang worcester and confirmed you must have 22mm pipe in order to retain the 7 year warranty, if you don't have the 22mm pipe the boiler can work but worcester won't extend that warranty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back