Mould, Damp, Condensation, plaster and salt!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,
Having an absolute nightmare! Over several years we have had black mould grow on the walls in certain areas in the house and we had an injected damp course put in to try and help with the problem. However this has not done anything. I have cleaned off the mould in all the rooms but it is an ongoing issue.
However the worst problem is downstairs. When we had the damp course done we had the wall hacked, damp course and then skimmed. We painted the wall and after a few weeks salt came through the walls and the paint bubbled off. I have left this like that for several years but recently went to redecorate. I scraped off the bubbled paint and salts and have repainted in one of the corners but the salt has come through again and bubbled through the paint. In the other corner of the room we have hacked off the plaster and replastered but the plaster isnt drying very well and is also cracking.

Can anyone help? I know nothing about diy, painting or building but am really worried about what to do as hoping to put the house on the market soon.

Sponsored Links
Check you gutters and stuff like that.

if the walls have dried out and the cause of the damp have been rectified, i would scrape back any bubbling paint and apply alkali resisting primer to all effected areas. you can than fill and apply your emulsion over the top.

joe is right, you need to first establish the cause behind the ingress of moisture before any advice with regard to decorating can be offered.

Dec

Sponsored Links
also try using an anti mould paint to stop any mould growth on the finished walls. i would recommend glidden anti mould vinyl or johnstones anti mould acrylic. other products are available also but these are the two that i have used consistently.

You cannot and indeed should not attempt to use any form of mould inhibating paint system where this is still the ingress of moisture, anyway these systems will tend to only offer protection from the formation of mould growth from above the system. And will therefore play no active part to their formation from beneath.

Dec

Can anyone help? I know nothing about diy, painting or building but am really worried about what to do as hoping to put the house on the market soon.

Seriously, listen to the guys about sorting out the reason behind the damp, moisture problems before you even think about making good the walls/decoration.

Many people will wrongly assume and tackle the decoration problems. This is counter productive and is irresponsible.

if the walls have dried out and the cause of the damp have been rectified

correct information with regards to the mould inhibiting paints. but as stated above with regards to rectifying the cause of the damp. the anti mould paint systems would stop any mould growing on the wall with regard to condensation., would it not?

No,

They are capable only of delaying it's formation, and when it appears make it easier to remove.

Dec

joe is right, you need to first establish the cause behind the ingress of moisture before any advice with regard to decorating can be offered.

Dec

Could the ingress just be purely caused by condensation? The worst corner used to have a bookshelf there. However this problem is worst in the same corner both upstairs and downstairs. The wall is very cold and does get condensation on it. I am following the steps to try and eradicate the condensation. I have a dehumidifier on at the moment and when i first switched it on it said humidity was at 99% but now is regularly running at 50%. In 24 hours it has filled half its capacity. Or would you suggest it is something else that is causing the water to come in?

Yes it could, yet this is something you need to establish for yourself.

Dec

Yes it could, yet this is something you need to establish for yourself.

Dec

How would i establish it? I used to be able to feel the water on the wall. There is condesation and mould in other rooms in the corners and around the double glazed windows. I wouldnt know how to check other causes? If i was to get someone in would it be a builder or a damp person or a decorator?

You cannot and indeed should not attempt to use any form of mould inhibating paint system where this is still the ingress of moisture, anyway these systems will tend to only offer protection from the formation of mould growth from above the system. And will therefore play no active part to their formation from beneath.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back