Mould growth question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mum has mould that appears on the floor and around the skirtings in two corners of her bedroom, it's the ground floor of a block of flats built around 1930s. There is a DPM and DPC course, no problems have occured before, she'd been living there for decades. Have a look at the pictures.

Before I get my moisture meter on it, has anyone any guesses? Leaving aside rising damp/penetrating damp possibilities for now, as there are are signs of this anywhere else... could this possible be related to her having loads of old books + lack of ventilation. I've told her to make sure the trickle vents are cleaned and unblocked, but it's strange this is suddenly occuring.

IMG_20151212_160034.jpg

IMG_20151212_160025.jpg

IMG_20151212_160029.jpg

Sponsored Links
Condensation; - lack of adequate ventilation and/or indifferent heating.

+1

'why now' after so many years of no problems is a little more uncertain, but still would bet money on above.

Your damp meter will show "damp", I can tell you that from here. I can also tell you that it will be meaningless, and you may as well go to the top of the block and fling that meter off the roof. It's condensation.

"Why now" is because it only takes a specific level of internal/external temperature/humidity to alter the equilibrium and dew points and allow mould to grow. I am always hearing "well I never got this last year and I've lived hear 50 years".

Check if any fans are broken or of there is anything being done differently - especially heating patterns and temperature. Opening the windows may not be the answer, but the air does need to be kept moving in that corner.

Sterilise surfaces and what you can with a fungicide

Sponsored Links
I may suggest she has a quiet extractor fan mounted to the wall to take air out through the airing brick in the room to help move the air out. I'm going to check the trickle vents to see if they have become blocked. She does get plenty of condensation on the windows which clearly points to lack of airflow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back