Mould on wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Not sure if this is the right forum but....

We have a stone barn conversion and my sons room has some mould high up near a velux. His ceiling is much high and goes up to the roof line. The side of the area you can see in the picture are within the loft space. The room itself is not damp just the mould high up. The velux doesn't leak or have condensation on it. Do you think this incorrect insulation on in the loft around the recess up to the velux causing condensation on the loft side of the the wall??

We did have a damp issue downstairs on the other side of the house but this was cement mortar on the stone walls. This has been resolved last year and that problem went away as I repoitned in lime everywhere.

Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20170112_082926.jpg
    IMG_20170112_082926.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 74
Sponsored Links
Yes, those areas are cold causing local condensation and mould, and one of the reasons for this could be lack of insulation directly behind those patches.

If you can't deal with this from the roof void, then you will probably need to line the face with some polystyrene or similar and then plasterboard and skim plaster

thanks. I think I can get to it from the loft. there is alot of insulation on the loft floor but none that I can see around that area. it's not boarded and no light up there so wanted to check on here before I venture up there in the cold and dark. Thank for you hlep you confirmed my suspicions.

Do you know what is the best type of insulation to put on the vertical walls around that area?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back