Mould under bathroom lino

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I lifted a small area of lino in our bathroom (in a bungalow) because I kept feeling a small hard lump under foot. I was shocked to find that the floor in the area where the lump was was covered in patchy black/brownish mould. The underside of the lino was also filthy with mould-like stains. Neither the floor nor lino were what you would call wet, only very slightly damp, and there was no noticeable damp smell in the room.

We had a new bathroom 2 years ago which involved chasing out a channel in the floor to sink a waste pipe leading from the shower to the outside. The floor was also reskimmed using the correct compound prior to the lino being laid. The problem patch is an approx 2ft square area either side of the pipe channel. I have not removed all the lino, in case I can't re-lay it back, but the floor does appear lighter in colour and dryer in the area immediately beyond the dark area. The back of the lino also appears a normal cream colour in the unaffected area. I was able to "smooth out" the bump in the floor with the gentle use of a hammer, but I noticed that the hammer head left slight impressions in the floor surface where the lump was.

Is there a slow leak from the shower waste pipe? Or any other possible cause?

Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back