Mouldy Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can anyone help me as this problem is driving me round the bend. Our bungalow is now 5 years old, and all the walls are brick/breeze brick with plaster - not dry lined.

We seem to keep getting patches of damp in corners, or behind units and even behind the bed head on the interior of our external walls. Always at the base of the wall. I have removed the mould with anti mould and mildew spray, but the problem keep recurring. Is it possible that the walls still have moisture in after all this time from when they were plastered?? I can find no obvious problem with the outside of the wall. The walls do feel a bit cold where the mould is occuring. The walls are still painted in the original magnolia paint the builders used.

Can someone tell me what to do!!!!! I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
sounds more like bad ventilation in the room. Try incresing it for a while after youve cleaned off the mould and see what happens. Dont bother with all those mould cleaners, a very strong solution of bleach and water will be more effective.

More than likely a ventilation issue. Bungalows have a lesser air volume than a house. Stick a couple of adults breathing out lots of humid air and before you know it bits of mould appear. We have always had bungalows and always had this problem.

Get some DG windows with trickle vents or open the existing windows on the first latch to let in some fresh air.

Fit a good extractor in the bathroom and kitchen, extracting to the outside not one of these recirculating things.

Cook and shower or bath with the window open a little.

Never dry washing by hanging on the radiators or hanging up inside.

Consider air bricks for extra ventilation.

If you want to be really posh you can get a HRV (heat recovery and ventilation unit).

Get a decent fungicide to kill the mould, not one of these things you get in the supermarket. Although bleach will kill some of it and hide the stains it won't kill all of the spores.

Get rid of any wallpaper and just have emulsioned walls.

That should give you somefood for thought, let us know how you get on. ;)

Get a decent fungicide to kill the mould, not one of these things you get in the supermarket. Although bleach will kill some of it and hide the stains it won't kill all of the spores

I was given that information by both my doctor and my dentist (who swilling my infected tooth out with it at the time!) They both informed me it was the best killer of any type of mould that there was!

Sponsored Links
Just going by experience, bleached wall mould returned in 4-6 weeks, pukka fungicide, no more mould. I even sprayed the bleach on neat, not very pleaseant, lovely white walls though, couldn't see any mould. ;) :LOL:

Which ever method, you have to ensure good penetration into the plasterwork to kill all off the spores and ventilate thoroughly until dry.

Thanks for all your tips guys!! Have now moved everything away from the walls and have opened the windows to allow more ventilation. Will def try the bleach or fungicide option.

Thanks for all your help

:D

Get yourself a dehumidifier - it worked for me. We had a mould spot at the bottom of out staitcase which is against an outside wall and has little heating there. I put a dehumidifier on the landing at the top of the stairs and it stopped it. Only seems to be a problem when the weather starts turning cold though - just turned it on again today after the Summer.
Cheers,
Gcol

doesnt solve the problem only effectivly masks it. you need to increase the ventilation or find whats causing the damp

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back