Moving a boiler / new boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bungalow refurb is going along nicely. Kitchen refit is being totally planned around a sound and without fault floor standing Stelrad mexico boiler though. System has a gravity fed DHW cylinder in the loft.
I am now biting the bullet and having it taken out and the new boiler re sited. 2 site options.
1. Loft - mounted on the brick gable end with flue thru wall.
2. In a flat roofed extension with flue through roof du to window positions etc.

May be looking to do loft conversion in future.

Queries,
1. Loft location - Anything to worry about?? Seems a logical step to me? Out of the way but easy access.
2. Flue through flat roof? Cant say i am too keen - leak waiting to happen?
2x plumbers quoting see no issue.
3. Change to Combi system - run to bathroom will be approx 10m lots of wasted cold before hot comes through? Cant see any way around it?
4. A change to pressurised system may cause leaks. Should i change all valves on rads?

What boilers offer good value for money at the moment. the last boiler we had fitted in our house 8 years ago (ish) was a Glow worm compact 100e.... nothing but trouble!

Thanks for taking the time to read. Would welcome any constructive comment.

Kev.

Sponsored Links
1. Loft location is fine so long as there's proper access and all regs are followed regarding flue/condense/pressure relief termination (all will be in the MI's)

2. Flue through flat roof?? Hmm could be trouble, get a roofer to fit it.

3. There's nothing you can practically do about long pipe runs on combi's, just get one with preheat and lag the pipes well.

4. Changing to a sealed system could cause leaks. You won't know till you fill it! It'd be just as likely for a rad or two to burst than for the rad valves to leak. All depend on the age/condition of the system.

For me Vaillant are the best followed by Worcester/Glowworm/Baxi. This answer will vary quite a bit once other lads pile in :D

1: As first answer but I personally do not like putting a metal object filled with water in an unheated space and a frost stat doesn't protect in a power cut or when the boiler is faulty.

2: Flat roofs can be trouble without a flue hole - again it can be done satisfactorily but I'd try to avoid it in my house.

3: If it's a combi, keep it as close as possible to the tap you use most, the kitchen sink - the bathroom isn't usually used anywhere as many times. It's not the cold water run off that you should be concerned about, it's the 10ms of hot water sitting in the pipe that you've just paid to heat that then grows cold.
4: as above answer.

Suggestion: If you can keep the boiler in the occupied part of the building have you considered one with an extended flue up into the loft then across and through the gable wall? The MI will give details of maximum length and bends etc.

What boilers offer good value for money at the moment.

Value for money should include longevity as well as purchase price. My pref is stainless steel but you're right, opinions vary.

Sponsored Links
i dont see a problem with putting them in lofts. Quite nice to work on usually, plenty of room and freedom to make mess :D Bit nasty in the summer though, but not the end of the world. Don't see frost as a major issue. Never been to a boiler/heating system thats been adversely affected by cold weather because its fitted in a loft. If its a bungalow I'd expect there to be pipe runs in the loft anyway. Take the flue through the roof, much neater. I do this wherever I can, slight extra cost but worth it imo.
Plenty of good boilers. Personally I install ATAG and GW Ultracom and thats it, but each to their own, maybe discuss this part with your installer.

Micky,
When you say thru the roof with the flue do you mean the loft installed situation or via the flat roof??

Anyone got any opinions on the Potterton GOLD range?? Got what looks like a good deal on them going on locally... half RRP?
But i always think.... Why!

Micky,
When you say thru the roof with the flue do you mean the loft installed situation or via the flat roof??

Anyone got any opinions on the Potterton GOLD range?? Got what looks like a good deal on them going on locally... half RRP?
But i always think.... Why!

through the roof in the loft. goes through a flashing. Looks tidy. better than sticking out the wall, which in many european countries is illegal!
potty gold is a pretty decent mid-range boiler. could do alot worse for the money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back