Moving a combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a combi boiler, which was installed by the previous owners in our upstairs back bedroom. I want to move it to a more suitable location downstairs in the house eventually (into a ground floor extension that isn't built yet) and have some questions ... hope somebody can help? I'm trying to assess how much of a disruption the work will be. The reasons will become apparent ...

Pipes ...

Is the job of moving the boiler fairly straight forward as far as the existing pipework is concerned... ie: could loops be made in the right places where the boiler used to be, and the boiler inserted into the system downstairs, without having to disrupt much of the rest of the house?

Gas ...

The gas feed comes out of the kitchen to the outside wall, up the outside wall, back inside under the first floor, under the bathroom, under the back bedroom and eventually to the boiler. This would all become redundant, apart from the feed in the kitchen - this is where we would take the gas from to fit a new supply pipe to the new boiler location. Can this be isolated / emptied and simply left in place, or should it come out? I'd want to get rid of the pipework outside, but don't fancy having to lift 20 feet of t&g floorboards...

The bathroom ...
I'm planning a bathroom refurb very soon - this is what's brought these questions about. The pipework that feeds the boiler - the cold supply and the gas, runs under the bathroom floor. This is fine for now as it will be 12 months before I come to move the boiler, but I'll be having a nice new tiled bathroom floor put down before Chrimbo. When it comes to moving the boiler next year I don't want to have to rip up the new bathroom floor to get to any pipework that will become redundant. So the same question as above really - can this be left in place disused, drained etc. as long as nothing is connected at either end and it's labelled up?

Thanks very much[/b]

Sponsored Links
I have a feeling that your going to get jumped on from a great height & told that your chosen RGI will be best to advise you to do this :D

You have not mentioned the flu?

You can leave any unconnected pipes you want under the floorboards, but have you seem the price of copper these days?

Quick, you may have just enough time to say that your not actually doing it yourself & that your getting a gas fitter in... :D

I have a feeling that your going to get jumped on from a great height & told that your chosen RGI will be best to advise you to do this :D

You have not mentioned the flu?

You can leave any unconnected pipes you want under the floorboards, but have you seem the price of copper these days?

Quick, you may have just enough time to say that your not actually doing it yourself & that your getting a gas fitter in... :D

Erm... I won't be doing this myself, no way hosay. I'll be getting a registered CORGI person to do the work obviously.

My questions were more about getting my head around how it could be done, so that I can either worry about ripping up a new floor when we come to move the boiler, or leave well alone. We're not talking miles of pipework really.

Thanks for the reply as well.

The flue from the existing boiler goes straight out the wall. When we build the extension and move the boiler, I'm guessing a new flue will be planned in on where it can go ... :)

Sponsored Links
You can't legally move it unless it's a condensing boiler. Get a Registered Gas Installer in to look at it.

It would be madness to put down a new floor over pipes which need to be moved.

Why do DIYers fail to understand the need to plan the order in which jobs need to be done?

There is more work involved in moving a boiler than fitting a new one. Its hardly likely to be worthwhile moving it if its not condensing.

The CORGI should be involved at the planning stage to ensure the boiler location is going to be possible.

Tony

Just to resurrect this as I think my choice of words didn't help my query !

By "move" I really meant "change the position where the boiler is in the system" - ie: from upstairs to downstairs. Yes, I'll be getting a new boiler when the work is done.

I agree that it would be madness to put a new floor down over pipes that need to be moved, that's precisely my query - I'm trying to establish if they actually need to "moved" at all - or if it is acceptable just to disconnect from them, for a new pipe to be installed to the new boiler location downstaris and the old disconnected pipe to be left in situ, empty.

The new location will be in an extension that hasn't been build yet, however the bathroom project is happening first as it simply needs to come first, I don't have a usable bathroom currently. The extension is a medium term plan, another 2 years or so down the line. Whilst it wouldn't be the end of the world to have to lift the bathroom floor 2 years after it was laid, I'd prefer not to obviously !

Any more advice gratefully received.

Many thanks!

Whether you can connect the boiler into a different position on the heating pipework depends on the pipe sizes. If it's 22mm it should be okay.

There's no reason why old pipes need to be removed. Redundant gas pipes need to be sealed to prevent the smell left in the pipes causing false alarms.

The new extension will have to comply with the building regulations current at the time so you will have to swap to a condensing boiler.

why has nobody mentioned that op can only use a corgi registered installer if he hurries up?

You can only use a corgi registered installer if you hurry up!!!

After that you'll have to find someone on the Gas Safety Register ;)

You can only use a corgi registered installer if you hurry up!!!

After that you'll have to find someone on the Gas Safety Register ;)

Thank you both :)

It'll be at least 2 years before this job gets done, so looks like I'll have to deal with that at the time :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back