Moving a gas meter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of our cellar conversion, we are looking at possibly moving the gas meter.

It seems that it can be quite an expensive procedure full of red tape.

However, a few questions....

1) We have an ancient meter. Is there any way we can request a new one, and perhaps have it slightly moved as part of that process?

2) Ideally we wanted it moved a few feet, but even flipping it the other side of the main inlet would help. I have read that if movements are only within the confines of the flex pipe, it can be done by a registered gas installer - is that correct?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
So is it correct a RGI can move it within the confines of the flex pipe or not?

If we can do this, that will be fine. Those few inches will be ok, I just cannot justify the £600 - £1500 they want for moving more than that (outside or further away).

Am told by a few people thats within the law/regs. Ideally I dont want to be breaking those.

post pic of where it is and mark where you want it with messurement of the gap between the emergency control vavle and where you want it

OK, red X marks the spot I want to move to approximately.

So, I think its just a case of moving the meter and then a bit of work on out internal pipework.

Thanks. Is it legal to do that though?

As far as I know, it would be easy for any RGI to move it anywhere I wanted, but its all down to if its alloed or not.

Phone your supplier & request a meter move/reposition, they will send an engineer out who will reposition it within 1-2 meters (only) of original position, they will not move the service pipe though...they will replace the guvnor & meter while they undertake this work aswell.

Phone your supplier & request a meter move/reposition, they will send an engineer out who will reposition it within 1-2 meters (only) of original position, they will not move the service pipe though...they will replace the guvnor & meter while they undertake this work aswell.

But, isnt this where it starts to cost £600 - £1000??? Would be ideal to have it moved right into the corner, but would prefer to pay an hours labout for a RGI to move just a few inches.

I have been passed from pillar to post so far by suppliers and transporters, thats why I asked.

I was told around £600 to move across the room and £1000 to move outside. Then I read, within the confines of the flex pipe a RGI could do it and would take 20 mins.

It seems to me that no one really knows the answer to this?

I have been passed from pillar to post so far by suppliers and transporters, thats why I asked.

I was told around £600 to move across the room and £1000 to move outside. Then I read, within the confines of the flex pipe a RGI could do it and would take 20 mins.

It seems to me that no one really knows the answer to this?
So, your question should be to ask any RGI on here whether they would be permitted to undertake such a task. Unfortunately, those who have responded haven't made clear whether or not they are such personnel.

Looks to me that where you want to move it to is where it should have been installed in the first place.

...what's in that conduit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back