Moving drains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I guess my story may be typical but here it goes.

We are thinking of extending our small kitchen in to the garden and obviously we have a manhole cover in the way (as if we didn't have enough problems).

It runs parallel to the outside back wall of the house. It runs for about 6 house. It is a square manhole cover with one large pipe running from parallel to the house (this would carry everything from the neighbours) and two smaller pipes coming into it from our home (one is a toilet waste and other is the general waste).

Now, we can either build inside of it (too small an extension - no worth it) or go beyond it.

So, the options seem to be:
* Have a manhole inside the extended kitchen and seal it. I am *not* ok with this idea. I can see a day when we *will* have a blockage and then an overflow.
* Move the manhole cover. So, what are our options?

** I was thinking (not wise) perhaps move it back few feet and join the main pipe and connect it to the sewer (all in our garden of course). So, in effect put in like a 'V' join (not sure if such a thing is even allowed).

1. Whom do we contact to move this thing? Can we do it ourselves (I guess probably not)?
2. Is it actually possible to move it or is it a No-No from the starters.
3. Would any recommend building over it (I am far from convinced about this one)?
4. What would be the cost of doing such a thing?

I have uploaded two images to give an idea of all the words above.

Thanks.
Robie

Sponsored Links
For a start contact the water authority. You most likely do not own the pipe and therefore are not allowed to do anything without their permission.

You'd be best to move this to the building forum.

i have sent them a message. for future reference the alert moderators link at the bottom right of a post is the best way

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back