Moving Electric cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm in the process of buying a 1962 bungalow, it currently has a floor standing electric cook, we want to change this to a Integrated eye level double oven at 4.8kw (@ 20A?), but were also moving it, the existing cooker switch is that same size as a double socket, so it makes sense to put a double socket in place of the cooker switch, Well just include it in the ring mains, can we make it a spur?
Secondly, going back to moving the cooker point, can I just take the cable back into the loft and put a Junction box in their and just cable from there to the new location or does it need new cable back to RCD, as it's been in there a while I'm inclind to go for a new cable, but I've not cabled to RCD before, the internal walls are solid, so all the cables I assume go down a conduit to the RCD, so should be fairly simple to pull though. I've done wiring before, but I'll get an electrician to do the connecting up, just might be cheaper if I can put cables in place. Is it 4mm for 20A?
Next time I'm at the bungalow I'll check the RCD rating, I'd guess 30A?

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
the existing cooker switch is that same size as a double socket, so it makes sense to put a double socket in place of the cooker switch,
Why does it?

Well just include it in the ring mains, can we make it a spur?
Possibly. But you shouldn't, unless you really have to.

Secondly, going back to moving the cooker point, can I just take the cable back into the loft and put a Junction box in their and just cable from there to the new location
Subject to total length, installation method, locations of any buried cables, accessibility of the junction box and condition of the existing parts of the circuit, yes.

or does it need new cable back to RCD
It's always better to avoid unnecessary joins.

as it's been in there a while I'm inclind to go for a new cable
Why does the age matter? What type of cable is it?

but I've not cabled to RCD before
What do you mean?

the internal walls are solid, so all the cables I assume go down a conduit to the RCD, so should be fairly simple to pull though.
Strange assumption. Far far more likely that they are buried in the plaster. What make you think they're in conduit?

I've done wiring before
Have you indeed. Not sure you should have.

but I'll get an electrician to do the connecting up, just might be cheaper if I can put cables in place
It doesn't work like that. Get an electrician first, and agree with her what she is happy for you to do to save money.

Is it 4mm for 20A?
It depends.

screenshot_729.jpg

Next time I'm at the bungalow I'll check the RCD rating, I'd guess 30A?
I don't think you mean RCD.

Does the device you're talking about have a test button?

the existing cooker switch is that same size as a double socket, so it makes sense to put a double socket in place of the cooker switch,
Why does it?

It makes sense to put in a double socket as there aren't really enough currently.

Regarding the cables to the 'Consumer Unit' ( I'd forgotten the term for the new style of Fuse Box, I'm vey old fashioned like that), I just assumed that they would be in conduit in case they needed replacing at some time, if they are buried in the plaster, can a new cable be pulled through? If not can plastic trunking \ Conduit be put down to the 'Consumer Unit' to make it easy to put a new cable in? The 'Consumer Unit' is in the hall cupboard, so doesn't matter what it looks like.

Cable size, did some 'Googling', seems 6mm is the correct size.
We haven't yet completed the purchase of the bungalow, but I need to get an electrician around their, so I'll take a good look at the 'Consumer Unit' and the make a note of the 'Fuses' after doing more Googling they will probably be MCB, its certainly a new style 'Consumer Unit' rather than the old Fuse box

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back