Moving Gas meter. Alternatives

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My gas meter is under the stairs where we are a planning to build a small bathroom. The gas meter is kind of in the way of the toilet bowl

I had three SGN Gas engineers coming over the last 4 months and everyone tells me a different story about the possibilities. They a very keen to move it outside at an expensive cost but not so much within 1-2 metres from the current position. They alleged regulations to avoid moving it inside the house. One did not see any problems to move it close from its original position just to receive a call a few days later from SGN telling me that he was wrong. I have been told that they wont move it within inside the house as they do not make money out of it.

Other sources tell me that any approved gas engineer can move the meter or install a smart meter and put it in a different position.

It is all really confusing. I would like to avoid going with SGN because I think they are a mafia and would prefer to go with any alternative solution.

Any one has got any advice?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
'Other sources' are wrong. The meter could be turned round if the unit remained accessible for meter reading and maintenance; other than that, if it involves moving the supply inlet, a domestic Gas Safe installer can't help.

Or a commercial one for that matter. The supply runs at a higher pressure, cannot be turned off, and is not your property.

How much is 'an expensive cost'?

Last quote given to me yesterday £1072.80
I do not want to move the supply inlet. The inlet pipe will stay put. I only want to move the meter around a metre from its current possition. At the moment the meter is connected to the inlet through a flexible still pipe (anaconda?). I believe a longer one can be installed. Can this be done by a Gas safe engineer?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you need to move the ECV (emergency control valve)?

If it stays where it is, can it be seen and safely operated from the new proposed meter position?

My view is that if the inlet pipe and ECV remain in the same position then ANY gas engineer can move it within a small distance from the ECV.

That's if they are happy doing it.

Generally the ECV is expected to be in the same area as the meter.

You are at the mercy of SGN my friend - a bit more than 'spending a penny' eh :sneaky:

If you decide not to go ahead and don't have it done, expect a surprise visit from SGN in the future as you have notified them of your intent and they will suspect you might get it done "on the sly"!

Hi,

My gas meter is under the stairs where we are a planning to build a small bathroom. The gas meter is kind of in the way of the toilet bowl

I had three SGN Gas engineers coming over the last 4 months and everyone tells me a different story about the possibilities. They a very keen to move it outside at an expensive cost but not so much within 1-2 metres from the current position. They alleged regulations to avoid moving it inside the house. One did not see any problems to move it close from its original position just to receive a call a few days later from SGN telling me that he was wrong. I have been told that they wont move it within inside the house as they do not make money out of it.

Other sources tell me that any approved gas engineer can move the meter or install a smart meter and put it in a different position.

It is all really confusing. I would like to avoid going with SGN because I think they are a mafia and would prefer to go with any alternative solution.

Any one has got any advice?

Thanks!

If a customer had come to me with this issue i would've explained some of what has been said above and i would have no issue moving the meter a short distance from where it is as long as the ECV stays in the same place. You can get long flexible supply pipe.

Also to what someone else has said above if SNG knock on your door asking to see your meter just remember they have or anyone else has no legal right to enter your property.

If a customer had come to me with this issue i would've explained some of what has been said above and i would have no issue moving the meter a short distance from where it is as long as the ECV stays in the same place. You can get long flexible supply pipe.

Also to what someone else has said above if SNG knock on your door asking to see your meter just remember they have or anyone else has no legal right to enter your property.

I have no issue moving a meter around on the Conda either, but, from the OPs description, it sounds like it will be some distance and will leave the ECV is an inaccessible position! Without greater detail/photos, we just can't tell!

Also, about access to your property, they can get a warrant to access your property or, if they are convinced that work has been done illegally, they can just shut off your gas supply externally!

Also, about access to your property, they can get a warrant to access your property or, if they are convinced that work has been done illegally, they can just shut off your gas supply externally!

They cannot get a warrant for that, they will need proof and they will also need proof of an ID to switch your supply off. They cannot just switch your supply off because they think work has been done illegally.

The meter is their property and only placed in your building to facilitate supplying gas to you then they have a right to inspect it by arrangement with you.

If you do not cooperate in granting them access then they can obtain a warrant to enter.

Tony

The meter is their property and only placed in your building to facilitate supplying gas to you then they have a right to inspect it by arrangement with you.

If you do not cooperate in granting them access then they can obtain a warrant to enter.

Tony
Tony they cannot get a warrant on the basis of simply to inspect the meter, if you disagree please show me in the relevant gas acts where they can.

I have attached a Pic. The ECV can remain in the original possition however the meter once the bathroom is made it will be in a "different" cupboard and i have been told it may need another ECV. As you see there is space enough, the plan is to move it under the RCD box. Since i have the choice of getting a smart meter for free this should make things easier. Does smart meters HAVE to be installed by SGN as well?
20160121_180551.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back