Moving gas meter, does it have to be in a box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not quite sure where the best place for this is, but here goes.
I am considering extending my kitchen and I have drawn various plans, some of which involve removing the wall on which the gas meter is currently located. I'd need to move the meter to another wall about 3 meters away. Talking to a mate though I get the impression that meter cannot be moved unless it is placed in an outside box like on new builds however I would rather it stays inside rather than be in a box, is that true?
Also any idea of the cost of moving the meter, I know it will vary depending on how much pipe is needed etc but it's fairly simple and the new location is closer to the street than the old.
Also are Transco the only people who can do this (and thus can charge as much as they want), or are there any other organisations who can do it?

Sponsored Links
you are not allowed to move the meter only transco or approved contractors with there instruction ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back