Moving gas meter without altering Transco pipe

God you lot know how to make a simple job sound confusing .
If you have the qualification Met1 . You can move the meter and extend the pipe AFTER THE MAIN TAP (ecv)AND BEFORE THE METER. An additional ECV must be fitted at the new meter position and labeled with where the actual main tap is .
Original main tap position must be left accessible and not hidden . And also labelled

Type of pipe that must be used depends on existing location and also labelled .

There used to be a various rules that the pipe could not be longer than 2 foot and have no solder fittings on it and that it had to all be in the same room if internal but these have gone now.

Sponsored Links
Just been chatting to NG who told me to extend the pipe and move the meter can be done by any gas engineer who has MAT1 qualification. I then spoke to Gas Safe Register who told me its actually called MET1 but anyone who has it can extend the Transco gas pipe and therefore move the meter.
Wrong.

God you lot know how to make a simple job sound confusing .
If you have the qualification Met1 . You can move the meter and extend the pipe AFTER THE MAIN TAP (ecv)AND BEFORE THE METER. An additional ECV must be fitted at the new meter position and labeled with where the actual main tap is .
Original main tap position must be left accessible and not hidden . And also labelled

Type of pipe that must be used depends on existing location and also labelled .

There used to be a various rules that the pipe could not be longer than 2 foot and have no solder fittings on it and that it had to all be in the same room if internal but these have gone now.

namsag, so would you suggest copper or steel pipe, to run from the main ECV to the secondary ECV? The meter is being moved from a kitchen cupboard to the adjacent side of the wall inside a flush-fit box, so the pipe run is minimal and mostly hidden.
The walls are breeze/brick, and the primary ECV would be labelled and easily accessible.

Sponsored Links
....There used to be a various rules that the pipe could not be longer than 2 foot and have no solder fittings on it and that it had to all be in the same room if internal but these have gone now.
Where are the rules that apply now? are they accessible online?

is there any difference between the service pipe after the ECV being inside or out? i have moved tons of internal meters, obviously the ECV stays where it is, but there are 3 fittings available from BES that i purchase to go onto the ECV to convert to copper, then at the new position 2 fittings join together to go from the copper back to the anaconda, as long as an AECV and the right labels are fitted all is well, have had transco check them via the local authority and they were happy as long as the pipe was properly clipped and the anaconda secured where it joined the copper, usually used screwed rod and clip as the height/position was never usually straight forward

I did exactly this today in my own house

is there any difference between the service pipe after the ECV being inside or out? i have moved tons of internal meters, obviously the ECV stays where it is, but there are 3 fittings available from BES that i purchase to go onto the ECV to convert to copper, then at the new position 2 fittings join together to go from the copper back to the anaconda, as long as an AECV and the right labels are fitted all is well, have had transco check them via the local authority and they were happy as long as the pipe was properly clipped and the anaconda secured where it joined the copper, usually used screwed rod and clip as the height/position was never usually straight forward

I did exactly this today in my own house
Did you use copper?

You can go from ECV to copper in just one fitting, Although its a compression fitting.

with the fittings i have, I can go from ecv to soldered copper in 2, sometimes one depending on the size of the ecv.

You can go from ECV to copper in just one fitting, Although its a compression fitting.

with the fittings i have, I can go from ecv to soldered copper in 2, sometimes one depending on the size of the ecv.

i get fittings from BES to do this, one fitting from ECV to copper pipe usinf end feed fitting, then go from anaconda to 22mm copper by using 2 fittings screwed together to give male at one end for anaconda to 22mm compression at the other to run pipe between them

Instead of using pile of fittings and anaconda just as easy and neater to just use a governor with no anaconda put a 3/4 to 22mm 611 in the inlet then a 72 (standard maintap fitting) on the maintap and do it in copper

Instead of using pile of fittings and anaconda just as easy and neater to just use a governor with no anaconda put a 3/4 to 22mm 611 in the inlet then a 72 (standard maintap fitting) on the maintap and do it in copper

its all subjective, 3 isnt a pile of fittings to me, as for it looking neater again, look at one i have done and tell me its rough, and if you use copper at the inlet and outlet does that not count as NCS as they are looking to have one semi rigid on the installation, preferably on the inlet, we have done hundreds of them for local authorities, wach phase inspected by their gas CoW in conjunction with meetings and written authority from the supplier and not once has a negative comment been made about the way i did it, and none had to be altered to the way you describe, so if its Ok for the supplier it will do for me

Kirk you have access to every book of regs or should have and you ask me if its NCS no its not never has asked for one semi rigid connection it has just never allowed 2.

Rossered your installer will not need photos he should be able to do a simple job such as this without the need of photos of someone elses work

Its not NCS if theres two solid pipes.

Its AR if the meter has two flex's and isnt secured with the use of a bracket at the inlet & outlet.

Its NCS if it has two flex's and is secured.

We at BG arent allowed to half copper up the inlet, its either all in copper or use an anaconda. But we only move them upto two meters and in the same space.

Im going to assume between the copper and the anaconda you installed a secondary ECV?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back