Moving gas meter without altering Transco pipe

Sponsored Links
Surely this belongs in the combustion chamber pot, not in a public forum??
:rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL:

I know that I could just leave it to Gas Safe installer, but this seems such a grey area, and I wanted to be sure in my own mind before starting the work. There seems to be conflicting views - not just in this thread, but after phoning round too.
I don't want to be in the position where I get a Gas Safe MET1 installer, get the work done, and then to be told by Transco (or whoever owns the meter) that they need to rip it out and redo it, costing loads of £££££'s.

I've seen something similar occur before!!!

Sponsored Links
Kirk you have access to every book of regs or should have and you ask me if its NCS no its not never has asked for one semi rigid connection it has just never allowed 2.

Rossered your installer will not need photos he should be able to do a simple job such as this without the need of photos of someone elses work

correct i have access to EVERY book, BS and reg that i need, but i was on my home computer at about 11pm, im human not a computer :eek: im quite comfortable in my own skill level and experience to make comments without running to the reg books first, and when i make an occasional mistake its not a prob as an expert from here keeps me right, in this case that expert was you and for the help you have given, i thank you, its not a prob for any of us to be wrong on here its a discussion, and i believe i asked it as a question (cant be arsed scrolling up to look haha) but if i didnt ask it as a question i meant to as unlike some i dont profess to know everything, i was more interested in having a dig at you slagging the way i do it using a pile (3) of fittings when you and expert can do it in 2 ;)
ta

expert would be a long shot, especially on this forum, reguardless of job title.

And i only questioned the amount of fittings used because i didnt know you continued to use the anaconda.

Its not NCS if theres two solid pipes.

Its AR if the meter has two flex's and isnt secured with the use of a bracket at the inlet & outlet.

Its NCS if it has two flex's and is secured.

We at BG arent allowed to half copper up the inlet, its either all in copper or use an anaconda. But we only move them upto two meters and in the same space.

Im going to assume between the copper and the anaconda you installed a secondary ECV?

im aware there are loads of meters which have alwats had 2 rigid pipes and these are not NCS, but i thought (wrongly i have been advised) that new installs looked for one semi rigid, or is it just the way its done now using one anaconda, and that has becvome what we expect to see? its no biggie TBH the way we did it already had the anaconda so we utilised it, and have had the job post inspected by the supplier who was more than happy with the way we had done it, if anyone wishes to strip out and dump the anaconda and use 2 x rigid pipes then i cant see a problem with it, its just not the way im going to do it,
if you are asking me the Q about the additional ecv then yes i can confirm if the meter moves to another unit or to a position where you cant see the original ecv and new meter then yes one was fitted, if the meter was being repiped and staying inside the same 1000mm base unit (to accomodate changing sink for LH to RH) then no aecv was fitted

I want to move my gas meter box by couple of meters to the left so its out of way. At the moment the Transco pipe (plastic inside steel tube) comes out of the ground on the external wall with meter stuck on the end of it. I am not fussed about pipe position as its not that big but I want the meter elsewhere tucked out of way.

What I'd like to do is have a cable or copper pipe at the end of Transco pipe extending to the position where I want the meter. The meter can then be attached on the other end of the pipe. I don't think they recomend using copper on the mains side and the tracpipe we curently have is only a short one. I am then wondering if I can get a longer tracpipe and use that. Is this possible? Plumber doesn't seem to think it is.

Aparently, if you apply with Transco, they have a fixed charge scale for minor alteration to meter repositioning, have you rung them? They will send you some forms to fill and you make a littkle sketch to show them where and how you wanted it moved. Their fee depends on the distance, but starts from around £375.00 this was back about 5 years ago.

Surely this belongs in the combustion chamber pot, not in a public forum??
:rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL:

jeezo thats twice in a week ive agreed with you, im seriously considering taking you off the blocked list, but im waiting on answers from the "training centre scandal" posts first haha

@rossoreed - If you are somehow classed as vunerable and can prove it, NG do have options in place to reduce the cost considerably or do the job for free.

Ive sort of arranged this for an elderly gentleman last year, I didnt know the outcome though.

Cutting and threading machine job done , no copper carp all iron , proper job.

Few plugs/caps plenty of fittings then snatch away. :p

I wanted my meter moved 12 inches/ 1 foot/300 mill/ 30cm.They wanted over £500 to inspect and over £600 to move it. I was lucky to dig up the soil, take a few bricks out and slide it along.

No matter how illegal it was, if they hadn't tried to mug me, i might of paid £300.

I wanted my meter moved 12 inches/ 1 foot/300 mill/ 30cm.They wanted over £500 to inspect and over £600 to move it. I was lucky to dig up the soil, take a few bricks out and slide it along.

No matter how illegal it was, if they hadn't tried to mug me, i might of paid £300.

effectively you moved it even if by sliding, you are guilty and sentenced to 2 weeks hard labour, suspended for 1 year! lol!

I got a Gas Safe engineer to call today and give me a quote, which is considerably cheaper than the figures posted above.
He said that he would run the service feed in copper through the inner breeze wall (in a casing) and through the rear of the meter box, and would fit a second ECV and flexible to the regulator.

Although he said that he would seal the rear entry into the box, I didn't think that rear entries were allowed in meter boxes??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back