moving gas pipe - TRANSCO costs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of refurbishing an understairs bathroom, and above a false ceiling found the main gas pipe which runs through to the meter at the back of the flat. I need a metre or 2 of this pipe to be re-routed about a foot higher, and recessed a couple of inches into an adjacent stud wall...
Am I right in thinking that because it's on the 'street' side of the meter that only a transco engineer can move it? And does anyone have any idea how much this would cost?

Cheers,
Al

Sponsored Links
They don't like meters inside cos they can't read them, so I doubt you will get them to do what you want. I daresay they'll resite the meter to a box outside the front, for several hundred quid. Then you'll need a corgi to replace the inside pipe, which I doubt he'll want to reuse.

Sponsored Links
Don,t know if you have has service pipe altered yet but Transco policy is they do not alter steel service pipes they have to be relayed but your quote usually around £2-300 pounds would be part contribution,they do not automatically relay to a box unless you wanted that, gone are the days when everthing went in a box outside for meter reading as company now split up into different units.So you cannot alter service pipe and for safety definately cannot go into a stud wall or any cavities but new supply would have to be run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back