Moving the gas meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
We recently moved and want to move the gas meter for 2 reasons:
1) It's in a really unpractical place - in a small pantry...on the floor behind the washing machine;
2) I'm worried that it's not safe in the space it's in (it's below the combi boiler in a space of about 2.5 * 3.5 ft is this save?)

I've asked about moving it and to move it just a 3 ft so that it's away from the boiler and more easily accessible is soooo expensive.

Are there any other options here? Are some costs sometimes waived if it's unsafe?

Really don't know what to do :(

Sponsored Links
you're stuck with it . its not unsafe although meters are no longer installed in new builds. i beleive that is more for access than safety reasons though.

you're stuck with it

No their not. They can have it moved but its bl00dy expensive ;)

Unfortunatelly Wizwoo Transco seem to have a set price and as you found out it 'aint cheap :cry:

Darn it...I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. It's about £650 to do it (plus vat on top probably!!!).

I thought I'd read somewhere that having the boiler so close and in a confined space might be an issue. Or the fact that it's not easily reached..although I guess if our washier wasn;t there that would not be such an issue...however with our kitchen there's not much choice.

What's more frustrating is that it still wouldn't be in a very practical space. :(

Sponsored Links
why dont you get a gas engineer with MET1 to move it for you, fittings are available from BES, (on advise i received here!!, i sussed out what i needed for altering meters on a kitchen contract) , obviously you cant move ECV but you can reposition meter and fit addidtional ECV and if a real emergency arose with a leak between the ECV and the new ECV you could simply pull out the washing machine, you wont be in any worse position than you are now as you need to move the machine at the moment

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back