Moving washing machine to detached garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i've done a bit of reading on this and found useful advice such as bury pipes below the frost line of 750mm.

But i thought best to have some more specific problems addressed...
1. My property is grade II listed.
2. The garage is detached and 2meters away from waste sewer cover in a lawn.
3. The waste sewer is uphill of the garage.

I have had a plumbers opinion whilst he was moving some radiators for me last year. At the time wasn't sure it would be do-able because of the uphill waste, but he said that's the WM waste pump's job.
The level differences are about a foot or two at maximum.

I do have an outside tap but am a bit fussy about showing extra pipe (plus it would freeze?). I think the best route out of the house is by the main tap in the hall by the front door, because it's almost outside pavement height.

I would lift the pavement in front of the front door and bury white plastic flexible pipe under the frost line accross the lawn into the garage (about 6mtrs).

The drainage is what concerns me the most. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Hi
I have moved a washing machine to my garage because of the noise it made. Best thing Ive ever done in spite of it freezing solid last winter.
Your waste pipe will be the biggest problem especially if you want the water to go uphill. I'm not sure the washing machine pump is designed to sort that out!
In my case I fitted the waste pipe first and poured several gallons down it to check it would flow away properly before I started anything else You probably need to sort your waste pipe out first as well.
Good luck with it.

Put the washing machine on a solid platform above the garage floor so that it does drain down to the waste pipe?

Sponsored Links
Thanks,

I will install the waste first, but the test will have to be with the washer in-situ of course.
Is there such a thing as a non-return for waste?
Or
Maybe a secondary pump that the washer can activate?

Can water even backflow through the machine pump? Maybe manufacturers would have considered this already?

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back