Multiple BT Master Sockets - is this an issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

The in-laws had an issue with their phone and so correctly called out BT. As their line was terminated in the loft the BT engineer installed a new drop wire location in the hall and then wired from that to a newly fitted master socket.

This was great apart from the fact that there were two extensions coming from the old drop wire in the loft.

In an attempt to repair the problem I was going to run new cables to the old boxes but due to the location of the new master socket and the location of the incoming drop wire I wanted to wire the two extensions directly to the incoming socket (with additional master sockets) instead of running extensions from the master socket as it would use a lot more cable and the runs will look ugly.

Is it ok to do this, and will there be any issues? As long as I use ADSL filters on all the sockets I thought it should be ok?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
what you should do is move the new master socket to the new dropwire location first then run your internal wire from there to feed the old boxes and lastly fit a slave socket where you took the master from.

the way you were suggesting doing it is called star wiring and is not good practice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back