Multiple TV aerial sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When we bought this house, there was a Sky dish on the South chimney, the lead from which went into the dining room (ground floor, south).

On the North chimney is a TV aerial and (what I think is) an FM aerial. The cable from the TV aerial comes into the loft, where there used to be a six-way booster / splitter, from which co-ax cables ran to the four berooms and the dining room.

When the chap came to re-do the alarm system, he took out that splitter and installed a small mains booster with two F sockets, one IN and one OUT, the OUT then runs out through the wall and then into the parlour (North), where it works fine - although I did fit another mains booster as we frequently got pixillation, which seems to have improved since.

From the parlour socket was daisy-chained a cable to a socket in the study.

When we bought the house, all the aerial leads were flying leads. I have been replacing these with proper fixed flush-mounted aerial sockets. When I re-did the parlour socket I daisy-chained the existing cables to the new socket, and when I tried it, the outlet in the study worked fine.

Now we have just bought a second TV to go in the West bedroom. But how do I identify which, of the five loose co-ax cables in the loft, is the one that emerges in that bedroom ?

I knocked up a "circuit-tester" - a mains plug leading to an on-off switch on the live lead which then goes to a mains LED, and then to a pair of wander leads that, when touched, complete the Neutral connection.

I made up an aerial plug with the ends connected (a "stop-end"), so that, when plugged into a socket, provide continuity between the sheath and the core of the cable being tested. Plug that into the bedroom socket, then go up into the loft, and test each cable in turn by putting one wander lead into the core of that cable, and the other on the sheath. If the LED lights up when I throw the switch, then I know that is the cable with the "stop end" plugged in.

But it doesn't work ! Regardless of which co-ax cable the stop-end is plugged into (in a bedroom), one cable (always the same one) makes the LED light, and the others don't. So I guess that the one that does light up must have an earth fault somewhere along its length anyway. But why doesn't one of the others light up ?

It's a mystery...

BUT - the point is... once I have identified all cables in the loft with their destinations... then what ? Do I re-install the six-way splitter ? How can I test it ? Or should I buy a new one ?

Should I have a booster in each room ?

I gather "signal quality" is not good in this village (Okeford Fitzpaine). All aerials in the village point East - to the Isle of Wight, I guess.

And... No, we don't subscribe to Sky, but should we do so, can we use the existing cables to feed Sky to all rooms ?

Sponsored Links
Please tell me you are mistaken when you say MAINS. If you really are using mains for testing then you are a complete numpty and are a danger to yourself, your equipment, and most of all, to anyone else in the vicinity. Please stop before you kill someone.

First thing to remember - many face plates have isolation, so they don't pass DC (or low frequency AC). If this is the case, then you'll need to take them off the wall so you can connect directly to the cable.

If you don't have any sort of "multimeter", then use a battery and light bulb - "borrow" a torch is one easy way to get these. Connect the inner and outer together of the cable you want to trace, then go to the other end and use your circuit tester to find out which of the cables now has inner and outer joined together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back