Multipoint lock jams when I lift handle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have a upvc-type front door, just small amount of glazing at the top, which has a multipoint (5-point) lock in it.
The cams all move freely up and down when the door is open but when I try to arm the multipoints by lifting the handle with the door closed, the cams just jar against the retainers and I can't lift the handle.
I cant figure out where the jamming is happening. If I peer into the gap, it looks like the cams should clear the retainers but they obviously don't otherwise the handle wouldn't jam, would it?
Any ideas on what to try?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the cams aren't clearing the keeps when they used to then the door has dropped and in an ideal world would need re packing called toe and heeling, as a temp measure though take each keep off one at a time and keep trying until the door locks then once you've isolated which keep it is just re fit it lower down, its a temp fix so you can lock the door but think about having it re toe and heeled by a service engineer, double glazing doctor/plastic surgeon out of the yellow pages

Thanks, crank39. I thought someone might say toe and heeling. Do you think that's too tricky for DIY..?
As I understand it, it means re-packing the door presumably to distribute the weight so the door sits square in the frame - is that about right?

Jimmy, The cams can be adjusted using an Allen key, failing that most retainers (keeps) can be adjusted to suit. The door wants to be 4/5mm away from the door frame, anything closer will affect the shoot bolts engaging, it's normally the top of the door that needs moving over, you do that by the Allen key adjustment on the hinge. As crank said make sure the door's packed correctly, toe and heel if needed, failing that take off one keep at a time to find out where the culprit lies, it's a case of trial and error

Sponsored Links
Well, I tried removing the keeps one by one until I realised its not the keeps that are the problem. Even with all of them removed, the handle still won't lift. The problem is the large, flat bolt that comes across horizontally, right by the main door latch / where the key goes.
To get that to engage, I have to push against the door really hard. Considering how much pressure I have to use, I can't see how I can adjust that very easily.
Looking at the hinges, surely the only movement I can adjust would be side to side, rather than the back-and-forth movement I need. Would toe and heeling really compensate for having to lean on the door really hard?
Thanks for advice, apols for the delay - Ive been away and just got back.

You'll need to move that keep in or out to suit the position of that bar. If there's no adjustment you'll have to take the screws out move the keep over then put the screws back making different holes, put some grease on the bar and bolts. The might find the other keeps may require the same treatment
Trial and error

There should be adjustment available on the hinges as a last resort or just google how to re-pack a pvc door it's all on there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back