Mushrooms/toadstools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
This year I'm getting a lot of toadstools/mushrooms in my grass and boarders, never had them before. How do I stop them coming back?

Sponsored Links
Concrete over. Or remove all soil down to the bedrock.

Seriously, mushrooms decompose dead organic matter such as bits of wood, they are a sign of good soil since you want lots of organic matter. I wouldn't worry, they are doing good. Some people don't like lawn mushrooms, and some will discolour the grass as they compete with it, and some form a symbiosis with grass. I don't think there's much you can do. Just enjoy them. And most are harmless. There are one or two lawn mushrooms that are deadly poisonous, so don't eat any.

A lot of mushrooms will also die back when the sunshine hits them, as they prefer darker, wet gardens. I should imagine you'll lose a lot of them in the height of the summer.

when it's dry, you can brush them away.

Perhaps you had a dead tree and they are growing on its rotting roots.

Post a photo, top and underside, and of where they are growing, and somebody might identify them.

I had honey fungus on the roots of a dead tree, it killed other trees and shrubs nearby.

Sponsored Links
Honey fungus is very bad news. It even kills rhubarb, it really is that evil. It hangs around feeding on dead wood, and has long 'roots' underground, so yes it will kill anything it can get its 'hands' on.

Thanks for the replies guys, sorry about my Kate reply. The mushrooms in the front are where I pulled some hedges out, so that would make sense, I'm not sure about the mushrooms in the back tho. I'll get some pics posted.

Thanks guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back