My bathroom project photo casebook

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Thought I would share pictures of my bathroom refurb with you all. It may help people who want ideas etc. I want to thank everyone on the forum who has given me advice on many occasions that has helped me get to the (nearly) completed article!

As you can see, it was a lovely bathroom to start with!

001.jpg

Ripping out was the first job. I wished many a time I had a downstairs toilet it would have made the job much easier!

002.jpg

We replaced the upper section of the internal cast iron soil stack with plastic. The vent pipe was done in 2" with an AAV in the loft. Probably slightly undersized but we have got good sewers where I live so I take a chance!

004.jpg

The bath was dropped into an alcove where the airing cupboard / water cylinder used to be. Having the boiler installed in the loft freed up a lot of space in the bathroom! Mixer shower chased into the wall.

011.jpg
012.jpg

The frame was built to house the cistern and to hide all the waste pipework. Thought it would be much neater than trying to box in behind normal bathroom suites!

014.jpg

Plasterboarding, skimming and painting done and I am really pleased with the result. I tried to do the panelling in one piece of plasterboard but ended up with two halves. The join looks alot worse in the picture than it does in the flesh, paint & filler must still have been wet.

017.jpg

On with the tiling in the bath alcove.

018.jpg

And the finished bath alcove with the shower screen fitted. Only the shower rail and facia left to do now!

025.jpg

I'm not doing that again for a while!

For those who are interested, I did have the services of a plumber friend who helped with the soil stack and did the pipework and shower (very grateful). A plasterer did the boarding and skimming and I did the boxing, tiling, fitting toilet, sink, floor, painting and other little bits.

Sponsored Links
Looks really good. Nice Job. Having the cistern hidden and the sink without a pedestal really gives the appearance of space.

Nice one!

I wish I had thought of doing that to the top 'vent' section of my soil stack, good idea. Anyone any idea what the regs are on that ? I've still got to box in the existing stack, and could change it .

http://www.psychonix.com/bathroom/shower_cubicle_01.jpg

Did you have to do anything to the roof to fit the smaller ventwork ?

Hi

Where the original soil pipe exited the roof I had to get some replacement tiles and replace the tiles after pulling out the lead. The AAV is just sitting in the loft space.

I actually think the regs stipulate a larger vent pipe than I have used. But as all the other houses in the street vent as normal I have little chance of problems. Officially its probably undersized, but in real life i'm sure it will be fine.

I had a look at your pictures too Turpin and it looks really nice. You can't beat a dedicated shower cubicle for functionality. I notice you also tiled the whole room which looks really good.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dan, I may well look into doing the smaller vent thing - at present I will have a ~150mm boxed projection into the room, and if I could get away with a smaller one the room would feel bigger.

I really felt the tiling (my knees were killing me), thankfully it was broken up a little by a 3 month wait for a plumber to remove the old rad !

Dan

How did you connect the new plastic stack to the original cast iron one. I need to do the same (don't want to replace the whole thing)?

And bathroom looks great.

Andy

Andy,

My soil pipe was 4" cast iron. There was a cast iron tee in the exact same place as the new plastic tee. It was compo'd in which I believe is a type of fibre / mortar packing (not quite sure).

I had to drill out the compo from the joint and break out the tee, but I was left with a 4" CI socket which I simply dropped a 110mm plastic tee spigot into and used a tube of silicone to seal it in. If you look carefully you can see the cast iron socket at just under floorboard level. I guess I was lucky how this worked out.

You can get various adapters to connect 110mm plastic to cast iron of various diameters. Have a look on screwfix or look in the waste pipe section of B&Q. Some types push into the cast and some types are like a large rubber coupling with jubilee clips.

If you are lucky and have a usable 4" socket joint like I had, then standard 110mm pipe will fit in.

Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back