My bathroom stinks :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I live in an apartment block. There are two apartments above me. When I come home from work in the evenings, there is often a terrible smell in my bathroom, the same smell as rotten eggs. I believe the cause of this is because the water from the P-trap of my bath is being drained away by the pressure caused by waste water rushing down the pipes from the apartments above me.

A few months ago, I had an air admittance valve installed immediatedly after the P-trap of my bath. It seemed to work for a while, but soon enough, the smell came back. If I flush my toilet (which is right beside my bath), I can hear the air being sucked through the valve, so I know it works for that much. However, there have been times when I have been in the bathroom, and heard the gurgling sound of water draining from the P-trap. When I have heard this, I have noted that there are NO appliances in my apartment flushing water, so I can only assume that it is because my upstairs neigbours have flushed their toilet or emptied their sink etc.

Also in my bathroom is a sink, with an overflow. I should mention now that the air admittance valve is at essentially ground level of my bathroom. I've recently read that in order for an air admittance valve to work properly, it needs to higher than the overflow of the sink - is this true? Especially for an apartment with 2 apartments above me? I guess I'm having trouble understanding exactly how everything works in terms of pressure? If my valve works when I flush my toilet, why does it fail to work when my upstairs neighbour flushes theirs?

There is stud wall in the corner of my bathroom, and I have no issue installing a vertical pipe behind that, with an AAV on top of it at ceiling height, but my question is - will it work? Will an AAV at ceiling height be more effective? Or is there no point in installing an AAV, since I can't get it higher than my upstairs neighbours toilet?

I guess I'm really confused as to how pressure works in these systems? And I'm really sick of coming home to that smell and having to breathe in toxic gasses.

Can anyone offer a solution that will definitely work for me? I feel like there's nothing I can do since I'm livng in an apartment block with multiple bathrooms above me :/

NB: I own the apartment, so I can knock down walls etc, I just need to know what approach will actually work for me

Thanks for any help you can offer! :)

Sponsored Links
First I would suggest getting the stack and associated foul pipework checked - a partial blockage can produce the symptoms you are experiencing.

Ideally an AAV should be higher 300 mm than the overspill level of anything connected to it - in a single installation this would usually be the basin rim. Before you start changing you plumbing arrangements I'd do a little more investigating.

In the short term I'd be inclined to put the plugs in the bath and basin (make sure you don't have any dripping taps) to try to reduce the ingress of foul air.

Just get the bath trap and the basin trap changed for Hep V O waste valves. Shame the aav installer didn't know about them:notworthy:

Would be a good idea to check with your neighbours to see if they are having similar issues! Especially those below you.

Sponsored Links
Yep. Waterless traps with "whoopee cushion" NRV would do the trick but if there's a stack issue with the block of flats, that would need to be communally addressed!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back