My ceiling fell down and I fixed it all by myself but...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. Appreciate all your help on here and read everyday but this is my first post. Basically I'm a bit worried. A board ceiling over the bottom of the stairs fell through because of a leaking pipe above it. I cleared away all the debris and cleared away any extra bits and then fitted a new piece of plasterboard and painted. It looks as good as new. But reading some of the posts on here I'm worries that the bit of ceiling might have been an asbestos board. The dust when I hoovered up was brown, like a white coffee. The house must have been built around 1900. Should I be worried? There was a fair bit of dust as you can imagine and worried that by doing a simple DIY task which I was quite proud of, I may have exposed myself to asbestos or something containing asbestos. I should say, it wasn't attend decorated ceiling. Looked like one board which was covering a small bit above the bottom of stairs. Really appreciate any advice.
Here's some pictures of bits that didn't fall down and the new plasterboard one I put up and painted.

Sponsored Links
Appreciate quick response. Was surprised to see brown dust. Why did you conclude 'extremely unlikely'.

The brown dust was probably gypsum from your PLASTER board ceiling it soaks up water the board then sags and then falls making a right mess. Asbestos doesn't take up water.

Sponsored Links
Sorry moderator. I realised I had put it in the wrong one and didnt know how to move it, so reposted...

Sorry to be curious: but are you saying asbestos is waterproof?

Don't worry....nothing you can do about in now...except get you affairs in order :LOL:

Plasterboard is white and gets dusty when broken. Brown dust is probably dust that is brown

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back