My New Garden Wall & Patio are starting to fall apart.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there, I would like some information from any Builders on here Please.
I had my garden revamped in December 2009. I had two patios and a Garden Wall Built. The builder was recommended to me and I phoned some of the references he provided. So I was happy to use him to do the work.
He dug out the various foundations and lay the necessary barrier material to prevent the weeds coming through the slabs, which he laid in cement. He Built a brick wall and steps up to the top patio. It looked very nice and still does. But, the slabs are loose and rocking about, and some of the wall bricks have come loose. None of this has been brought about by lots of family use or children playing.
I have phoned the builder and he has tried to tell me that garden walls and patios will go like this with the cold weather, frost and snow.

This has puzzled me because I cannot see the difference between the outside bricks in a house or garage and the garden wall.

Should I expect to get at least 10 years or so from this building project.

I did cost me a lot of money which I had worked hard for.

Are my expectations realistic or not??

All sensible comments would be welcome.

Many thanks.

Drumgilken. :confused: :!:

Sponsored Links
It should all last a lot longer than 10 years. He's probably not used the correct bedding for the paving, and may have used too weak a mortar for the wall.
Pics would help.

Hi Again,

Thank you both for your replies. Much appreciated.

To date I have not had any contact from the builder. I sent him an email on Sunday, so that I have created a paper trail. I suspect that he will try and fob me off with various lame excuses. My son has dealings with trading standards, so if push comes to shove I shall go down that road. I don't want to stuff up his livelihood, but, he may do it to himself, just by ignoring me.

I will post back on here with any further developments.

Dee

Sponsored Links
The slabs may be loose because the soil immediately behind the new wall was not compacted and has now settled. Is the effect worse at the wall end? If the top bricks are coming loose, then it sounds like poor workmanship, if the bottom, it could be soil pressure is pushing them out.
Frank

Hi Frank.

The mortar securing the top row of bricks is all cracked and some end bricks elsewhere on the wall next to the steps are also loose. Personally I feel that he started the project in December 2009, which of course was a real cold winter, so as pointed out in a previous reply the temperature was too cold. I suspect he wanted the money for Christmas.

He's shall have to put it right or I will show him the other side of my personality.

Thanks for your reply.

Dee

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back