My pond keeps becoming a mudhole! Lost water!

if you look at it that way yes they are from the same family.
but look at it from a koi keepers/breeders side if you keep koi
then you don't have goldfish.

goldfish are something you buy in the pet shop for £2.
koi carp are something you buy off a breeder for £200.

koi won't stand the condition like goldfish do and won't be happy in 2.5 ft of water.

You are seriously deluded. The evidence is clearly produced above, and you still argue against it. You go into a petshop and buy a mature 6" long fish for £2..no it costs £50, even more for Koi. Sure I paid 3-4 quid for the fish origionally, but to buy them now is more expensive. Breeder=petshop.

Goldfish have lived in a bowl for generations, Koi is the same family, what are the reasonings behind that they can't live in 2.5 foot of water, when fish live in a bowl? Living in a pond is their natural habitat?

Koi and Goldfish are Carp, they live in rivers, and ponds. And bowls, that have inches of water, and a circumference of 6 inches, but are unable to live in a pond 3 feet deep? Get real!

Koi ( Nishikigoi) need deeper water for comfort, they are not happy in shallow water at all and it restricts their lifespan and growth. Koi have been bred mainly for their colour and quality, this means that they have lost most of their natural resistance to disease. Goldfish could prob live in a dirty bucket of water and be happy!

Goldfish and Koi belong to the Carp family, but they are totally different fish. I have kept Koi for years and have spent a small fortune on fish and pond set up. The common goldfish is a mutation from the Crucian Carp, Koi are colour bred from the Common Carp. The name 'Koi' actually means Carp.

Goldfish are a very hardy fish and dont need the filtration and care like Koi do, thats why you see them sat in bowls on top of the TV.

The type of Koi you see being sold by breeders would not live for a week in a river, they would catch pretty much every disease out there.

You're right in saying that they come from the same family, but similar fish they certainly are not

Sponsored Links
Why is it that every book or website I've ever seen bangs on about koi carp needing very deep pools, with a load of filtration etc;? I genuinly don't know and would welcome enlightenment from an expert such as yourself Micky :confused:

Huh? Which thread are you reading, I said the complete opposite of what you are saying! My filter system isn't working, and the water has drained from the pond, and I'm not talking about Koi, I'm talking Goldfish. And saying that Goldfish are quite happy to live in a Goldfishbowl, as they are in 2 feet of water or 3 inches of water. Hardly deep.

Keep taking the pills mate. :rolleyes:

your best bet is to stick with a bowl on top of the telly cause you haven't got a clue about keeping fish let alone koi.

Sponsored Links
your best bet is to stick with a bowl on top of the telly cause you haven't got a clue about keeping fish let alone koi.

This thread goes from my pond leaking to me being inefficient at keeping Koi? And carp being carp or not. Write if you have something to add, don't write if not. We are talking about a leak, not what breed of fish will/willnot survive in an enviroment.

The fish in my pond are pretty happy Seco, even though they have lack of pond water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back