My quotes...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone interested in seeing my roofing quotes and giving opinions on who to go with?

All Above Roofing’s quote page 1... here
All Above Roofing’s quote page 2... here
All Above Roofing’s quote page 3... here
They used to be VAT registered but aren't anymore. Haven’t met the guy but spoken to him on the phone, he went on a bit and was very interested in his overlaps and codes of lead, talk-wise he sounded like he has attention to detail and wants to supply the best quality lead. Found them in the phone book. They’re part of the Confederation Of Roofing Contractors.
www.aboveallroofingcontractors.co.uk

Aire Valley Roofers quote page 1… here
Aire Valley Roofers quote page 2… here
Aire Valley Roofers came and quoted for repairing my leaks in May and so I had them back again cos they seemed fair priced and a decent lot. They’re the only ones who said my last roofer’s work could stay and so their quote is based only on re-roofing half of the front of my roof, plus renewing the valleys. If I went with them I'd want them to re-price for doing the entire front of my roof. Also this quote is based on renewing my old tiles but now I’ve decided I want new tiles so that would be an additional cost also. They’re with the Federation Of Master Builders.
www.airevalleybuilders.co.uk

Croft Roofing’s estimate... here
Recommended. Croft Roofing seem to have a good reputation but are hard to get hold of. Seem too busy to return calls and emails, took over two weeks to get the quote but I'd expect they'd do a decent job. Also again I’ve now decided I want new tiles so that would have to be an additional cost to this quote. They’re a biggish company, Tim Croft has about 12 guys working for him so I’ve heard. If you can’t see the price well it works out at £3132. They’re with the National Federation Of Roofing Contractors and Trustmark.
www.croftroofing.co.uk

Graham Swift’s estimate… here
A recommendation. Graham Swift talked the talk, has been doing roofing for 35 years, seems to know his stuff and I think he'd do it right. Took ages to send the quote. As before I’ve decided to now have new tiles so this price would rise a bit. Doesn't appear to be in any trade associations.
www.roofingotley.co.uk

Stewart Greaves’ quote… here
A recommendation, mended a dormer roof for someone once. Stewart Greaves is the one I initially liked cos he too pointed out faults straight away, plus he slammed some leadmate on my valley lead cracks, if he hadn't I'd have been screwed in the persistent rain we’ve just had. He's given two prices, one for using the old tiles, one for getting new tiles. Looks to be half the price of everyone else. Also says he can do the job in about two and a half days or three days, other roofers suggest it would take about a week. At the bottom of the quote he's given two references, I've tried the first one, seems ok, the second number doesn’t exist. He does work for Western Power and Morrisons Utility Services. Don't think he’s in any trade associations.
No website.

Willmall Builders’ estimate… here
Not interested in Willmall Builders, the guy came across as a cowboy.
www.willmallbuilders.com

Also had Simon Fletcher suggested by CASAC (Community Action & Support Against Crime) round. I got a leaflet about CASAC at the police open day, CASAC vet tradesmen and suggest non-con artists. Turned up in a joiners van and didn't come across like he knew much about roofing. He said he'd send a quote, haven’t got it yet but I'm not keen on having him.
No website.

What the front of my roof looks like (middle house) ....

2012-07-14DayElevenofre-roofingb-2.jpg

2012-07-14DayElevenofre-roofinge-1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Today I’m veering on taking the gamble and going with the cheapest Stewart Greaves. Keep changing my mind though, my other front runners are All Above Roofing and Croft Roofing. But why pay double the money for possibly the same job?

Blimey, you got a lot of estimates, though some of them make my quotes look like war and peace in comparison lol

Don't like the use of the word estimate this gives the impression of uncertainty, a fixed price quote is always better than an estimate.

Ask for references and speak to previous customers if able.

From the quotes i can see. i think i agree with takimg the Greaves quote. Compared to London prices it seems slightly cheap but it could easily be that they are a bit quiet and want the work. It should only take 2 -3 days.

The swift price specifys a strange size batten and the nails he says to use would only go 8mm into the rafter nowhere near enough.

The Croft quote looks fine buy the price is very high for the work quoted.

Sponsored Links
Western Power and Morrison Utilities - digging holes :confused: FOSAC Fallen off scaffold and cradles :mrgreen:

Western Power and Morrison Utilities - digging holes :confused: FOSAC Fallen off scaffold and cradles :mrgreen:

Western power....I remember them. Haven't they just took over the world. All estimates are quite brief apart from the one that didn't load. Too brief opens the door to the word"estimate".

Blimey, you got a lot of estimates, though some of them make my quotes look like war and peace in comparison lol
Once I realized how much it actually costs for re-roofing I figured it’d be best to shop around. & yeah, some are basic.

Don't like the use of the word estimate this gives the impression of uncertainty, a fixed price quote is always better than an estimate.
I agree.

From the quotes i can see. i think i agree with takimg the Greaves quote. Compared to London prices it seems slightly cheap but it could easily be that they are a bit quiet and want the work. It should only take 2 -3 days.
It’s comforting to hear someone not say that Stewart Greaves’ quote looks too good to be true. I think I will take him on but am so nervous and just praying he doesn’t turn out to be like the last two roofers. I was thinking that because he said it would take 3 days, quite possibly 2 ½, that that might mean he rushes all his jobs and might not take the time to do things just right. So you defo think it’s feasible to get the job done right in that short time?

The swift price specifys a strange size batten and the nails he says to use would only go 8mm into the rafter nowhere near enough.
Thanks for pointing that out cos I wouldn’t have known that. He’s the one that comes across as being someone who knows what he’s doing and that you’d get an excellent job. & his expensive price leads you to believe that too.

The Croft quote looks fine buy the price is very high for the work quoted.
Cheers.

Western power....I remember them. Haven't they just took over the world.
I’ve just googled Western Power and Morrison Utilities cos I didn’t really know what they did, well if Stewart does jobs for them does that mean he’s not actually doing roofs for them? Does it mean he could be one of those men who goes up telephone poles and climbs up pilons?
087.gif
I was wanting a proper roofer who does roofs all the time.
sad.gif
I hate to say it but quite a few men I know think they’re better at doing stuff than they actually are. I know someone who does plumbing, electrics, fixes cars, does building work, done re-roofing, but to be honest I question how good at all those things he is, I think he’d be better at sticking to the day job – joinery. The last roofer has a property maintenance firm, he seemed to think he could handle my roof but look how it turned out. & the lady next door had her pointing done by a real gloyt, he talked himself up and acted like he was brilliant but he massacred her stone with a hammer drill, he did a course at college and then thought he knew it all.

Stewart did mention that he’d done a roof 20 years ago and had been watching the tiles on it age over the years which gave me the impression he’d been doing roofing for 20 years but if his day job is something totally different, do I want him having a bash on my roof? What if he’s over confident in his abilities?
sad.gif
Now I’m getting myself unsure about him again.
realsad.gif
I was gonna tell him today to go ahead. Hmn.

Or do you think he mends roofs of the office buildings for Western Power & Morrisons Utility Services?
105.gif
Somebody phone him and find out.

All estimates are quite brief apart from the one that didn't load. Too brief opens the door to the word"estimate".
I figured maybe roofers ain’t into paperwork, they get their hands dirty and don’t type.

Which one didn’t load for you? They all came up for me.

We actually have a couple of guys who do a lot more than roofing (carpentry, plastering, building etc) BUT are VERY good at all of them (can just about put together an Ikea wardrobe myself lol), some guys are just good at practical things, it seems to be that roofers can make good builders but doesn't always work in reverse

I don't mean to be a dumbass, but what is that hip doing there on the 2nd pic? :unsure: Or am I missing something?

That row of ridge tiles that you are taking as a hip, is the last roofers effort at sealing/weatherproofing the dividing line between the roofs with two different tiles. hope that makes sense MW

Well actually it was my first roofer’s attempt four years ago at doing the dividing line, the next roofer this summer said it was alright to stay.

My final quote has come in...

All Above Roofing’s quote page 1 here
All Above Roofing’s quote page 2 here
All Above Roofing’s quote page 3 here

Well I was gonna phone up the cheap guy Stewart Greaves and get him on with it but now my dad says I should get one of the more expensive ones.

BTW, what the heck is this about needing a permit for re-roofing (see at the bottom of page 1 of All Above Roofing’s quote)?! That’s news to me, I’ve already had it re-roofed twice already without a permit. & I’ve just had a quick look on Bradford Council’s website here and to me it suggests if materials are like-for-like then a permit isn’t needed. Confused.

Why pay more than you need to?

Just make it clear to whoever that you will be having it checked by a building surveyor before payment is made. (Whether you do or not is up to you).

So you definitely wouldn’t think I’m a dumb *ss for going with the cheapest even if its half the price of the others? I keep swaying, thinking yes the cheapest and then no. I just know if the next re-roofing attempt goes to pot that everyone will say “I told you so” and that the price was too good to be true. I absolutely dread the guy messing up and me having water pour in again. If it happens I can’t complain to any trade associations, I'll be on my own with a ruined bedroom.

@ freddymercurystwin – I phoned up the two numbers he gave as references, one didn’t exist and the other checked out, the guy said he was great. Haven’t seen any of his past work or spoken to any residential people he’s done roofs for though. Do you think I should ask for more references? I feel embarrassed approaching him with suspicion and getting him to prove he’s not a cowboy. I’ve already phoned him once to ask why his price is so cheap. He just said that’s the sort of rate he charges.

I’ve told Stuart Greaves (the cheap guy) to go ahead and he can start probably on the 15th. Can I just run through a few details he gave me verbally with you technical people please, just to make sure everything sounds right.

He says he’ll use a fibre glass bonding gutter a foot wide where those dumb ridge tiles are currently and that there’ll be a 2” join. One thing... when he pulls off those ridge tiles do you think he can re-use the next-door neighbours old tiles that are cemented under it? I don’t want them to get a leak and blame me.
087.gif

He thinks the neighbour to the left either has Sandtoff modern or Marley modern and would be buying those tiles for me. Is it crucial we both have the same tiles, if he guesses her type wrongly will it be disastrous if they don’t join together right?

He says he’ll use code 4 lead on the valleys, 18” wide.

He’ll use 38x28 laths with 2½" nails.

The tile nails will be 50mm and tiles nailed down every four courses.

Is everything okay?

& just as an additional question, the chimney to the left of my house (my house is the middle one) that left chimney is owned by my neighbour. Am I legally entitled to change the lead around it on my side if I wanted to? Is it my lead? If it leaks there it wouldn’t leak into her house, it’d leak into mine and from looking in my loft there is old water marks down the wall there. If I’m having my own chimney lead replaced then it may be a good idea to do that too to be on the safe side but do I own it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back