My rediator has burst! has this hapened to anyone else?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

We live in a very old flat which had an old heating and water system. We changed the system and installed the combined system last week but didn't change the radiators as we were told there was no need for that.

Last night one of them burst! three holes have been created on the front pannel of the radiator (they look like bullet holes) after the radiator couldn't take the strong pressure.

I looked closely at the radiatirs and noticed little round dents on all of them on their front pannel.

The plumber has lowered the pressure now and has recommended getting new radiators.

Has this happened to anyone? can you recommend which rediators we should get and offer any kind of advice?

Thank you,

Tova

Sponsored Links
Was its an old servowarm system by any chance? :LOL:

Probably best to change the pipework whislt your there too.

it happens!
in the last 5 years, i've had 1 burst spectacularly with an almighty bang whilst i was at the customers
i'v e had around a half dozen fail by pinholing, did one this morning, we changed the boiler back in June.

Hi Pablo,

Yes it was an old Servwarm system! what does that mean/ do we have to change the pipework?

I was hoping tht if we change the radiators and perhaps ask the plumber to set the new system on a low pressure we would be ok? what do you think?

Tova

Was its an old servowarm system by any chance? :LOL:

Probably best to change the pipework whislt your there too.

Sponsored Links
If they are actual servowarm rads then the way they have been welded together is not strong enough for pressurised systems and they can balloon up and split.
It is not well known so i would not blame the installer as not everyone has come across it and they dont always do it

If they are actual servowarm rads then the way they have been welded together is not strong enough for pressurised systems and they can balloon up and split.
It is not well known so i would not blame the installer as not everyone has come across it and they dont always do it

How do I know if the radiators are actual Servwarm rads? what do I need to look out for?

Had it myself, on filling a system, conventional to combi swap. heard creak BANG BANG. Sh*t myself and dumped the pressure immediately (in more ways than one). New rads fitted on to existing pipework - no probs.

Had it myself, on filling a system, conventional to combi swap. heard creak BANG BANG. Sh*t myself and dumped the pressure immediately (in more ways than one). New rads fitted on to existing pipework - no probs.

Hi beerlover,

I heard BANG, BANG, BANG and ran into the bedroom only to find boiling black water gushing out of the rad ALL OVER my white carpet... I closed the rad right away and lowered the pressure but the damage was already done :(

What kind of system did you have before you fitted in the combi? what new radiators did you get?

Tova

black water gushing out of the rad ALL OVER my white carpet..
Tova

The system was cleaned well then during commissioning :!:

Yes, really well... :confused:

Does this mean that the plumber that did the job didn't do it as well as he should have? he said he had "flushed the system" whatever that means... should it have been cleaned as well?

Tova

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back