My Roofing Project - NOVICE ALERT

I'm assuming you are using fibre cement slates anyway, if not obviously ignore what i said about the copper rivets.

Sponsored Links
He could manage as people have for century's with out a piece of fibre glass, Total nonsense to put something there that is not needed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - slate and half it is then - thanks so much for your help.

So you are prepared to compromise the roofs ability to keep water out for aesthetics, well thats your choice.

He could manage as people have for century's with out a piece of fibre glass, Total nonsense to put something there that is not needed.

You have a better method?

Unfortunately this is the 21st century and things have moved on somewhat!

Of course you dont have to use fibreglass you can use lead!!

one things for sure joining new to existing will look awful as the batten sizes are different for a start.

Replacing like for like yes, but with modern specs regarding batten size, membrane, vent systems etc its rarely possible or practical.

More so north of the border where we use sarkin board and counter battens, pre 1970's roofs the tile batten were nailed hard to the sarkin.

Upshot a height difference of 40mm...This is the stuff we have to use! ugly to say the least.

http://www.hambleside-danelaw.co.uk...ng-gutters/dry-fix-bonding-gutter-hdldbg1.php

Thanks everyone - I've now completed the job (almost - just need to do the ridge tiles) - the bonding gutter looks much betteer than I thought - I understand it would be better to tie in the slates, but as mentioned the battens were different sizes, and the old headlap was about 75. I ended up starting at the verge end (end terrace) and used slate and a half either side of the gutter.

I am confident that in a few years these bonding gutters will keep me in work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back