My stupid mistake while abroad - Tooth brush charger + European socket!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to Spain a couple of weeks ago to visit a friend. I have just realised while I was out there that I plugged the charger for my Braun electric tooth brush directly into the EU type socket.

No 1A fuse, No isolation transformer, nothing protecting the charger other than the 20 Amp MCB along with the board wide RCD what fed the socket!

I thought it was a bit stiff plunging my charger into the socket in the bathroom. Please be kind on me...:notworthy:...I have only just realised my mistake.

Sponsored Links
We've had this exact same discussion about euro sockets and shaver sockets before. I don't get how you did it by mistake

Sponsored Links
Why is it a problem? I am sure my tooth brush charger has a CEE 7/16 plug on it anyway. BS 4573 socket is not water proof and rarely used without an isolation transformer to BS EN 61558-2-5 which does not define any particular socket. So in general the sockets are designed to take a range of plugs. The 200 mA limit of the transformer is unlikely to allow any dangerous temperature rise due to poor connections. As to a BS 4573 plug damaging a CEE 7/16 or CEE 7/3 socket well that's another question. Are you going to send them a letter explaining how you may have damaged their socket. Before you send it do check what plug is fitted though.

Have we misunderstood?

Is eveares, in view of the other thread, telling us he daringly did this and the world carried on?

What do the Spanish do?
They plug exactly the same charger into a socket on a circuit with (probably) a B16 breaker.

I tend to buy toothbrushes in pairs, and so have 2 chargers. On one I replace the BS 4573 plug with a CEE 7/16 for use sur le continent.

Stupid DIY Not!, did not get any email informing me a reply had been made to my original post.

I don't get how you did it by mistake

More that I was preoccupied and plugged it in without thinking anything of it. My brain was not in electricians mode but in tourist in a foreign country mode and I had more important things on my mind than charging my toothbrush; Sort of like when you add sugar to your tea forgetting you have already added it.

And what rule have I violated??? o_O

None. That was a message from moderator to stop the political bickering, which is off-topic .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back