My trip to B&Q is this good advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a question about the validity of advice i recieved today from a B&Q guy who said he was a sparky.

Question. If you had a 2 way light switch and it was wired up for the purpose of being able to switch a light on downstairs by both a switch downstairs and a switch upstairs would it be possible to use T&E at either 1mm2 or 1.5mm2 oppossed to using 3 Core & E as i thought you should between switches.

The guy said that it was normal practice to use the same cable i.e T&E to wire between switches but stated that it must be labelled well as you can get in a pickle.

Can somebody clear this up for me?

Sponsored Links
Adam, If is smells like a duck, walks like a duck, and looks like a duck..then you can bet ist's a duck..

The same is true of Bull

Ignore the idiot, in fact I would phone B&Q and complain, the Guy is a muppet of the highest order.

Stick with the way you know, it is right.

Thought he was wrong, didn't see any duck movements but i said to the old man, that his comments went against the grain of the books that i am reading and the advice that i have noticed many of the knowledgable posting on this forum.

Breezer has even gone as far as to post a diagram on his sticky reference page which points out that it's three core and earth

andemz said:

Breezer has even gone as far as to post a diagram on his sticky reference page which points out that it's three core and earth

thankyou :oops: , but anyone can post a picture on it (i believe it was FWL_Engineer's idea to make it "sticky")

Sponsored Links
Must have my fuzzy head on today. I'm not even sure what the B & Q guy meant by what he said!!

You can wire a pair of 2-way switches with T/E linking the two L1s & L2s, but you then have to resolve the problem of needing a single to provide the live feed to one COM and take the switched live from the other.

Conduit would be one way that meets the regs - what about using 1 conductor in T/E if the other one was cut back - would this be allowed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back