Myson Apollo 50s

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,I have a Myson Apollo 50s .A really simple boiler.Its been fine for some time...but just recently ,it starts up .burner on for about 3 to 5 mins .Rads hot ,then it cuts the gas solenoid and restarts varyingly on/off/on/off every few seconds.
My neighbor recently changed his boiler (the same ) so I had a look at it.
Its almost as if a thermocouple wasnt working and keeps cutting out then restarting .....but there is no thermocouple on this boiler. 1 How does it know the burner is alight as all I can see is a gas pilot light and an HT spark ignighter.There is no thermocoupler or bimetallic strip that I can see.
2. It cant be a very efficient boiler as its far too simple.Anyone guess roughly how inefficient compared to a new 'A' Rated boiler these are ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Forced draught burner on these little gems..
Call a professional as possibly a chamber pressure issue , does burner pulsate causing vibration?.

Yes Thanks ,will be calling a gas man tomorrow.
Just wondered how the gas stays lit with no kind of thermocouple or sensor.Its prob about 20 yrs old ,just moved in......so if the gas light was accidentally somehow blown out what shuts off the gas valve ?Potentially quite dangerous.

Sponsored Links
so if the gas light was accidentally somehow blown out what shuts off the gas valve ?Potentially quite dangerous.
Potentially. Yes

That is why gas safe registered engineer should be the only person to work on it

Midget leprechaun resides within combustion chamber and monitors flame proving , leprechaun will close gas iso valve should flame proving not be apparent.

Oh forgive me ,I should have explained.I have my neighbours old boiler apart in the garage . We were just seeing how light it is compared to his new one.We couldnt see how the gas would stay on if the flame went out.

I do hope you didn't loose the leprechaun when opening CC.

Oh forgive me ,I should have explained.I have my neighbours old boiler apart in the garage . We were just seeing how light it is compared to his new one.We couldnt see how the gas would stay on if the flame went out.
Yea right.....I guess you thought we all came down the Thames in a biscuit tin...:ROFLMAO:

20160131_212336.jpg

I think I know what your problem is.

That pcb is not installed correctly imho:)

Correct and good spot!! Almost missed that. Shouldn't it be mounted above the insulation material to protect it from the burner or was this the model that trialed "Cool Flame" technology?

Jon

It just seems so dangerous.Also the flue goes into the loft with an air grill in the pipe and up through the roof.So....potentially...flame goes out ..gas pumped into the loft...Good night nurse....OMG how can this type of boiler instalation be safe or legal ???? No its def time for a new boiler.

OMG how can this type of boiler instalation be safe or legal ????

Because if installed and maintained correctly they are safe. You just don't understand how it works!

Cannot comment on the safety of the boiler on your wall. But the one on your floor definately has a few safety issues.

That's why you get an RGI that understands these systems and you can sleep in peace.

Get an RGI out and yours will be fine.

If you do decide on the new boiler route then make sure you get a couple of good RGI's to come quote and run through with you what you want from a system and be able to recommend things to you. Cheap isn't always good but neither is expensive. A good one will make you feel at ease and informed about what will be happening, why and when.

Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back