Myson LO-line heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What can you all tell me about these heaters ..

I was thinking of having a 14-10 in the hallway and a 9-6 in the living room ..

Idea being was with the proposed new condensing boiler ..they would loose more heat ..so make it even more efficient.

when the gas boiler switches off on the stat ..will these heaters continue blowing cold air.

whats the reliability of them like ..

all the best.markj

Sponsored Links
Convectors and fan convectors generally need higher flow temperatures than radiators, so are less suited to condensing boilers. There are some now which give a lower return temp to help condensation, but it is not as good as a heat emitter with a low flow temp - such as underfloor.

The human body is more comfortable with some radiant heat, so convectors are poor in this respect as well.

Fan convectors usually have built in thermostats to stop the fan at low water temperatures.

OK thanks mystery man ..
i would not have realised that the quality of blowing hot air wasn't as good as radiant heat ..if you had not have said..

it made me sit back and think ...yup you are probably right.

is there a website that gives radiators efficiency ratings ..

i think i may need large capacity rads that hold a lot of water ..that are also good at loosing heat ..
any recommendations welcome .

i only need two..living room and hall ..the rest of the house will look after itself with the rads that are of an older design that function ok....hopefully ..
well Ive done with 1 paraffin heater for years ..anything else is a luxury.

all the best.markj

is there a website that gives radiators efficiency ratings
Efficiency is a meaningless concept, so far as radiators are concerned.

i think i may need large capacity rads that hold a lot of water ..that are also good at loosing heat
You need to work out the heat loss from the two rooms, which will tell you what size rads to install.

In any case the amount of water is no guide as you can have two rads with the same amount of water and one will give of 1000W and the other 1500W; it's down to the design. One will produce mostly radiant heat, while the other, with fins on the back, will also give off convected heat.

Sponsored Links
i think the living room needs about 4800 btu ...thats from a website that i visited earlier ..
living room
DG patio doors ..good ones...one outside wall facing south semi
roughly 3.5 mts x 3 mts i just want a large capacity rad ..that is roughly 6 foot x 2 foot that is over capacity ..that i can let the trv do the job

same with hall over capacity double or slab finned rad 8 x2 rad but i gather that you don't have trvs in the hall and let the hall stat do the job.

then will be OK for whatever the weather can chuck at me.

all the best.markj

efficiency verses size data ..that's what I'm after ..

or how many kws i can get out of a set size of rad.
Efficiency and output are not the same thing.

Efficiency is the ratio of output to input. It's appropriate to a boiler as you will put in 100k BTU but only get out 80k BTU, giving an efficiency of 80%. But a radiator gives out what is put in, so the efficiency is always 100%.

You can find boiler data by looking at the manufacturers' catalogues. The Stelrad Elite Catalogue is as good as any as there is very little difference between different manufacturers for the same size.

You say you need 4800BTU, but think you need a 2' x 6' radiator - the nearest metric size is 600mm x 1800mm. If you look at the Elite catalogue, you will see that the lowest output for that size is 6142BTu, which is about 28% oversized.

Now oversizing is OK if all rads are oversized by the same amount. But if one rad is oversized it will reduce the amount of heat available to the other rads. In any case the total output from all rads can never exceed the output from the boiler. So, if you have a 100k BTU boiler and 150kBTU of rads, you will only get 100k BTU out from the rads.

Oversized radiators can be used as it means the boiler can run at lower temperatures; which increases the probability of condensing occurring and consequently the efficiency of the boiler; which leads to reduced fuel costs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back