Myson Velaire requires Resetting Every other day

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have recently moved into a new home we bought and I inherited an oil boiler with it. I have previosly been used to very good gas boilers, and have never really had any boiler issues.

Anyway so since turning the old thing on for the first time, we started to get a strong smell of burnt fuel.

the first 'Expert' we called, and paid for said the boiler was packed, and best to move to gas, and has since quoted me 5K for the change.

I have got a second guy to come round and he serviced the boiler, saying that it hadnt been serviced in years, and the soot build up was the worst hes seen. anyway he left and the smell is now not so bad, and clearing.

yet it still requires a reset every other day.

Having just moved in to the place, and the costs involved there, i do not really fancy a new 5k bill, and wanted any advice on what to do... is there a fix that i can do thats more cost effective, and i can then wait until im back on my feet to do the gas conversion?

Any help or advice woudl be appreciatted

Thanks

Irfan

Sponsored Links
Your Myson Velaire is probably 25 years old. If you are getting smells, as well as lock outs, then there is a good chance the seal between the flue and boiler is goosed, and pretty well impossible to repair without removing the boiler.
I assume it is a case sealed balanced flue. You could remove the front to eliminate the lock outs, but if there is a leak, then you will get more fumes in the house, so not a good idea. You may find a replacement oil boiler would be cheaper as you already have the tank, but if that is as old as the boiler, then it would be worth getting that checked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back