nail every tile or every third row?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I noticed on our dormer loft conversion that not all the tiles were nailed. When the scaffolding was up I spotted the tile around the toilet waste had slipped.
I questioned the builders who said they only nailed every third row of tiles. They say this is better than the usual standard where only every 5th row of tiles is nailed to the batons.
I've since read that with vertical tiles, it is better to nail every row.
As the dormer face is directly above our patio, I just wondered if its safe and within building regs to nail every third row?
thanks in advance for any wisdom shared
dormerFrontFinished.jpg dormerSideFinished.jpg

Sponsored Links
ha ha, crikey, thanks for reply Woody.
BS 5534
"For nibbed tiles at rafter pitches below 60 degrees , two nails should be used to secure each tile in at least every fifth course. For rafter pitches of 60 degrees and above, including vertical, two nails should be used to fix every tile"
As these vertical tiles are directly above our patio area, I think this needs sorting sharpish.

Get them to sort the top course too whilst they're at it, there is a course missing.
On the subject of the waste pipes what sort of a contraption is that.

Sponsored Links
well, its seems most of the tiles were nailed. about 8 or 9 were not nailed so they glued those with silicone or something similar.
crumbs, is that waste pipe looking a bit suspect?

There was extra wood at the side to fix a final row of tiles but nothing to fix to on the front. I asked for a lead apron instead then, but the building inspector says it is fine so they won't do it.

Errm glued them on, interesting.
Not sure why they didnt put another batten on for the top course. Its not really the building inspectors job to ensure your building is weathertight. Even if it is it it just isnt right and looks wrong too.
Also whilst the soilpipe is probably functional it also looks a mess. Why didnt they take it down tight to the bottom and then turn it tight round the sloping roof and guttering

the building inspector got them to fix the flat roof on the basis that it wasn't weather tight. But he said the tiling on the front is fine. I agree an extra row would look better. I also think water could get behind the 2nd to top row if the wind was blowing hard in the rain.
True, the waste pipe isn't the prettiest I've seen but I think we are going to have to live with it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back