Naively thought that moving modem closer to master socket wo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i
Repositioned modem so that it is now on window sill and plugged directly into ADSL faceplate. New Cat 6 cable extends from there about 5m to router/PC etc. Checked speed and still getting 37Mbps which is the same as before (previously used pro plus cable to connect faceplate to adsl extension socket in bedroom (about 5m.

I was advised by many that plugging modem into master socket was best for speed. Ie. Shorten distance between modem and master socket and extend cat 5/6.

The only thing I can think of is that I still have pro plus connecting the master socket to upstairs socket even though nothing is connected to it. Surely that doesn’t make a difference.

(I'm on Infinity Option with 40Mbps max anyway but thought there would be slight improvement).

Many thank

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks.

Just wish people would caveat the message about moving modem closer to master socket increases speed, subject to.......

Also, how do BT and other ISPs increase speed on the line when you upgrade to a more expensive product?

Thanks again

Longshanks

Sponsored Links
Also, how do BT and other ISPs increase speed on the line when you upgrade to a more expensive product?
Depends what the limitation is.

Some products (not many now) are artificially limited (eg to "2Mbps down") and this is done in software in the exchange equipment. In that case, it's just a matter of changing a setting to change the artificial limit.

But your line will have it's own limit which is determined by the laws of physics - basically, the longer and/or poorer quality of cable between exchange (ADSL) or green box (FTTC) and your modem, the lower the sync speed achievable. There are some settings that can have a small effect, but mostly it's the physics of the line that limit you.
The speed you see is the sync speed less some overheads. In this case, the only way to speed things up is to change something - for example, changing to ADSL2+ is likely to give a speed increase over ADSL Max even on a long line. Also, there is variation between modems/routers - some are better than others, I get 7648 kbps down at the moment, but with a different modem can get 1/2Mbps less !

EDIT: It's also possible that you are connected to an ADSL2+ service, but are only paying for an "up to 8M" service. Thus you may be artificially limited to 8M - and an "upgrade" to an "up to 24M" service would be just a matter of removing the limitation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back