Natural hydraulic Lime - Shelf life?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Would anybody know if I can still use Natural hydraulic Lime NHL 3.5 in white powder from unopened bags I bought 18 months ago?

A bit of a delayed project, which is to plaster in and around my fireplace. Lime, because it is apparently more fire resistant than cement.

The bags do not have manufacturing dates or use by dates. I was originally told it would last but have now heard a different story. The manufacturer cannot give me a straight answer. So I have done some research and I'm now quite confused. One website says it will keep for 4 months and goes even further quoting that once a bag is opened to use it within 3 days and discard what's left afterwards. Should this really be the case?

I would really appreciate if somebody could enlighten me.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the information. Hydraulic lime sets with water but it looks like even the contact with air could slowly start that process due to moisture, it reacts probably a bit like cement I guess. The bags have never been opened and are in black bin liners, so hopefully it should be ok. Interesting article; lime, although a bit more expensive than alternatives, seems to have many advantages.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back