Naughty Screwfix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a pump issue with the heating at home- boo, valve it off and have a look. Oh bum, one of the valves has jammed open. Not to worry, drain down etc etc..... but I digress.

Had a look online for standard domestic 130mm 6m head pumps. Screwfix looked cheapest (that I could get quickly), £78 for the one that looked most appropriate (when did pumps start costing that much? Never mind). Didn't order it online, wandered down to the branch thinking to get one over the counter and have a read of the instructions especially the stuff about constant head/constant volume settings. Imagine my surprise when looking through the catalogue to find it priced at about £100. Odd I thought, sure I've got the website set to show prices inc VAT.

So, out to the car park, smartphone on the website- sure enough, £77 inc VAT. So did click and collect, waited for the email & wandered back in.

And as an aside, since this new pump is super duper infinitely adjustable, is there any easy way of making sure I've got it set to the correct head (I'm thinking checking temperature drop across rads or something like). System is traditional open vent, Baxi Bermuda something about 25 years old. 3 zones (all 2 port valves- downstairs, upstairs, hot water), main runs are 22mm with more sharp bends than I'd like but space was tight. Tarty new pump is set to 4.7m at the moment, nice and quiet, rads heating up OK and boiler not cycling.

Ta

Sponsored Links
Often Screwfix do deals and discount products that obviously the catalogue price will not show.
I don't think that they do anything cheaper on web than in-store.
I am sure if you had purchased in store, the discounted price would have been given.

What pump did u get £78 is pretty cheap for a pump these days.

Go to Tool Station, usually find that most things are cheaper. Also, T/S deliver free if spending over a tenner - with Screwfix it's over £50.

Some may have magic formulas for setting pumps. I just set it low enough so that hw and ch performs properly and no higher than needed. Too high can cause problems like pumping over in the F&E and noise.

Sponsored Links
Ta all. Pump is a Wilo Yonos PICO max 6m head- wasn't the cheapest (they had a Flomasta for £68) but Wilo looked like a good name & the spec looked much better

WhiteSpirit66- yeah Toolstation are cheaper for most things I need, they're the first place I look. But not pumps at the moment. Far prefer Toolstations' website as well.

image.png

Never noticed any worth having before- whenever I do medium-sized shopping lists (£200 up) I check Screwfix and Toolstation (and a few other places) - nearly every time Toolstation are cheaper.

Gas85 if you have a plumbfix account you get varying discounts that pump comes up as £64.29 plus vat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back