Need additional shower, is a mixer tap/shower suitable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Just looking for some advice.
I'm looking to rent out my spare room in my new flat. Unfortunately the only shower is in my en-suite.

The flat is electric only and I have an immersion tank hot water system that heats up overnight. I'd presume the cold water ccomes directly from the mains given that I've no cold water tank. My current shower in the ensuite is a mixer shower and the pressure is very good, there's adequate hot water in the tank every day for 2 long showers easy.

In the main bathroom with the bath, is it perfectly feasable to just tile the walls around the bath, fit a shower screen and change the taps for one with the mixer tap and shower head?

Do these mixer taps/shower head's come with an appropriate length hose and fitting for mounting it above head height? I had it in my head they were more for just using the shower head while sitting in the bath!!?

Seems too simple!???! :eek:

If that's the case then I'll get cracking! :D

Sponsored Links
If you have no cold water tank then both cold and hot taps will be at mains pressure so there should be no problem with balancing pressures that you get with mains fed cold and hot water at lower pressure.

I would tread a careful path O.P , is the bath mixer thermostatically controlled ????????? remember you are renting a property to a tenant , scalding issue's ect ect , duty of care ect ect !!!

Sponsored Links
Even if it's all from the main there might be a pressure issue. the hot is likely to have a pressure reducing valve where as the cold might not be supplied through it.

Surely if the existing shower in my ensuite is also a mixer then there would be no problem?

By the way there's a temprature control knob under the bath that stops the water getting too hot already.

Surely if the existing shower in my ensuite is also a mixer then there would be no problem?

By the way there's a temprature control knob under the bath that stops the water getting too hot already.
If the control knob is connected to both hot and cold you should be ok, but it's not guaranteed

The point is you are not a tenant ? there fore if you get scalded who are you going to blame ?? thing under the bath is a thermo mixing valve ?? which if working correctly & is of the required standard should fail safe ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back