Need advice, glass shelf, cabinet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, In process of doing bathroom, now my tiling is almost complete (on the walls anyway) i need some advice.

Ive battened and plasterboarded the wall, followed by tiles, however i want to put a glass shelf up above basin and also a mirror cabinet.

My question is which is the best way to fix these ? to go into the wall id have to use 3 maybe 4 inch screws, but i wont be able to manage with a raw plug etc. my other thought was to use them plasterboard fixings for the shelf them metal screws which a screw .. screws into if u catch my drift? lol. But im unsure if i can fix these as id have to drill a big hole in tile to get it though. Has anyone used the other type plasterboard fixing which is them raw plugs that open up widely?

need your advice peeps

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If the glass shelf is not too deep, I'd be tempted to drill 5.5mm holes and use red wall plugs. The tile thickness combined with the plasterboard behind would probably hold it.
I put a glass shelf up in out bathroom this way. Still on the wall after 2 yrs. ;) ;)

don't ever leave a wall plug in a tile. always push it through into the wall or plasterboard cavity otherwise if you tighten a screw in it, it will expand and crack the tile.

don't ever leave a wall plug in a tile. always push it through into the wall or plasterboard cavity otherwise if you tighten a screw in it, it will expand and crack the tile.

Not if you use the correct size screw for the plug. The first 1/2" should have enough clearance to accommodate the shaft of the screw.
Problems like this arise when diy'ers use a thicker screw than is recommended for the plug. ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
I think it is a totally unnecessary risk and a bad idea to advise someone to do this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back