Need advise with the new house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought a new house and I'm hoping to start painting it on Wednesday. Its a repossessed house so I'm guessing it has been un-occupied for little while. But it looks like the previous owner had got the work done to a very high standard. However the walls and ceilings has got minor issues which I need to sort out and would like your advise on how to tackle these. Its hard to explain the problems so I've uploaded the pictures so you could see.
//www.diynot.com/network/user_album_update.php?album_id=9440

Sponsored Links
Looking at those images, I wouldn't like to think there will be any painting done there on Wednesday.

In two of the pictures it appears that the plaster skim has not bonded to the base coat. Unless there is a moisture issue in those particular areas that has caused it to blow, I would imagine you will need to hack it all off and have the wall/s re-skimmed. If I were you I would seek more advice about those areas in the Plastering forum.

It certainly seems that there is, or has been, some sort of moisture issue on the wall with all the flaky patches and this will need to be addressed so that the paint can be scraped off and the wall patched and stain blocked before being painted.

The wall with the thick crazing will also need to be scraped back to a sound surface before attempting to paint. Lesser crazing can sometimes be filled and sanded but in this case I think it is a little too bad for that.

The coving can be stuck back quite simply with adhesive, and the cracked ceiling filled, but it seems the plasterboard joint hasn't been taped so you might find that the crack will reappear in time.

If the photos are making things look worse than they actually are, and you are able to just patch the walls for painting with something like Easifill, make sure you use a stainblocking paint (eg, Coverstain) or oil based undercoat on all of the areas that appear to have water stains otherwise they will just bleed through the new paint.

Well I don't know if it's the fact that I'm using a phone to view those images but that link doesn't work for me.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Thanks misterhelpful. I'll act upon what you've advised. On Wednesday I'm just planning to paint one room which hasn't got any of these issues. Walls are in good condition so a single coat of paint would do the job in that room. I'll have somewhere to live then. :)
Joe and Dec, I'm new to this forum. I've made my album available to all members so I'm not sure why you can't access the pics. Anything else I could do to change this behaviour?

Well I can't help with the images have another try, I just find it odd that some can see the pics and others can't, if the link works for one then it should work for all.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back