Need help running in virgin media cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there , I'm having virgin media installed in a few weeks time ,
I've gone for the 60 mb broad band package with 2 set top boxes .

I'm awear that the virgin installers just clip the cables round and through rooms to achieve the required location ,

I am intending to run in all the cables / phone lines required in the walls all hidden so the installer can simply make the connections and set it all up.

My question is , which cables should I use and where to run them from /to ,
Also will I need to run any fibreglass cables in for the Internet or will cat5's do ?
My main incomer is at the front of the house , my main room is at the back , and my second box will be in the bedroom upstairs at the front .
Thank you in advance for any comments :)

Sponsored Links
no, you do not need any fibre cables, or cat 5 for the installers.
You will need a Co-ax connection from the box at the front of your house to each point that you want a box, and your router, the fibre optic bit of virgin broadband stops at the street cabinets, its fed to you through the same coax that provides your TV.
you will also need a telephone cable from the same box on the front of your house to where you want the telephone if you are taking their phone.

I'd use WF100 or CT100 cable.

IF your router is not going to be near your computer, you may want to consider installing 2 or 3 cat5 cables to this from your PC / other locations whislt your pulling the coax in.

I had the same conundrum. I had seen my neighbours with the cables draped over the outside of their homes. To make things worse, often the clips fell out of loose masonry and so the cables hung down, sometimes over windows or on the ground in front of their doors.

When VM installed my broadband, which I wanted in an upstairs bedroom diagonally opposite to the existing brown junction box. I was concerned about how the cable would be installed.

The route I preferred was quite torturous and with difficult access to some areas. So I prepared the complete route, ran draw cables through certain parts and drilled any necessary holes in the walls.

When the engineer arrived, he was most agreeable to working with me and we decided that he would run the cable through most of the route, but where it involved crawling through a narrow opening into the roof space above the garage, the engineer would leave sufficient cable for me to complete the run and then I would clip the cable in place in the evening when I got home from work. After which he would then come back and make the final connections and commission.

I imagine this is a common situation, If I had to do it again, I would call and ask VM before installation starts, as they may not want to use cable not supplied by them. For example, if the cable was faulty who would be responsible? Also whilst technically it may be correct, the diameter may not fit their equipment, or connectors.

just been having a chat with a friend, he advised calling VM and asking for an ENGINEER for your installation, not just an installer. as they are allocated more time on your property, not just a hit and run guy.

Sponsored Links
Thank you tim and stem,

So i need wf/ct 100 from the incomer to the required locations of my boxes and also one to where I would like my super hub , then cat 5's from hub to ps3/pc and to smart tv , do I require any telephone cable to the boxes for on demand content etc ? Or or simply one cable to where I have my phone ? ( my phone is in a seperate location to where I want my hub) would I need from hub to phone or straight from outside box to my phone

Thank you

i had the same issue but i had a mate who worked at VM the cable is an american spec cable they may NOT connect it if its WF/CT100 allthough it will probably be fine, i got some dropped off by my mate at VM

This or similar will do fine for extending the cables up to the new position for the VM box.
white_comp_6m.jpg

Strangely enough the house next door is getting there's fitted today I just asked the installer if I ran my own cables in would they connect them up , he said it has to be there own cable and not the "honey comb" cable , so I asked him for some but reckons he doesn't have any , haha . Wha am I supposed to do lol ,

Real CT100 hasn't been manufactured since RAYDEX was bought out in 2005 so it's unlikely that you'll find any genuine stuff. In any case, it has an air-spaced dielectric (which is probably what the VM technician meant by "honeycomb").

WF100 has a foam dielectric and should be fine.

Ok then I'll go get some of the wt 100 and run that in then hopefully he will accept it , thanks for your help guys ,

Also on the topic of CAT5 runs for Ethernet is it better to run in CAT6 as I'm lead to believe it is "future proofing " or does this cable require an alternative fitting on the end compared to a cat 5 ?

Many thanks
Dean :)

Ok then I'll go get some of the wt 100
What's that? I recommended WF100. Note the choice of letters, which also happen to be upper case.

CAT6 is a larger diameter than CAT5 and more expensive. If you really want to "future proof", install optical fibre as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back