Need Help with the Wiring of Hallway & Landing Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've recently replaced the light switches in my house, but having a problem with the hallway and landing lights and wondered if anyone can offer some advice.

The hallway light is a 2 gang 2 way switch and the upstairs landing light is a 1 gang 2 way switch. The problem is that the upstairs light can't be turned on unless the switch downstairs is on (and vice versa).

I must admit, I know very little about electrics literally just mirrored the set up from the old switch I took off and baffled as to why it's not working.

I've created the diagram in the image below to show the current setup I have. Can anyone see the problem?

Sponsored Links
literally just mirrored the set up from the old switch I took off and baffled as to why it's not working.
It's not working because you didn't exactly copy what was there before. For example, did the old 2-gang switch have its terminals arranged like the new one, or was it like this:confused:

2g2w.jpg

Were there any wires linking terminals?

I must admit, I know very little about electrics
You really, really ought to remedy that. Trying to replace switches by copying how the old ones were wired, or by following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without genuinely understanding why is a bad idea - a proper understanding of how it works is essential.

Also a bad idea is trying different combinations hoping to hit on the right one by chance, so you might well need to buy and learn how to use a multimeter so that you can identify the various conductors you have.

Or Plan B - get an electrician. :confused:

Hi,

Thanks for the response. The old switch had its terminals arranged with L1 and L2 as you illustrate in your diagram. I labelled the wires with the terminals that I took them out of but obviously this doesn't directly correspond to the setup in the new switch.

I will call an electrician, as you suggest. It's obviously a bad idea to try and remedy this myself.

Thanks again,

Ross

Christmas is coming - ask Santa for some books:

//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:books

then next time you shouldn't need an electrician. It's not hard to understand how things are wired, but you do need to understand it.

Daft time of year to fiddle with lighting anyway - far too little daylight if anything does go wrong ;)

Sponsored Links
Photos would help as well, as I imagine certain wires come from certain cables - and your diagram doesn't show this.

Or, you could describe where each wire emerges from.

Post a couple of photos. I bet we can fathom this out between us.

Thanks guys, I'll take some photos tonight and post them on here.

Many thanks

Hi guys,

As promised here's some photos. I had a little difficulty with photographing the downstairs 2 gang 2 way switch whilst the wires were connected as one of the wires (labelled L2) is very short.

Here's the downstairs 2 gang 2 way switch connected and below another photo showing the wiring without the face plate.

As for upstairs:

Not sure if it's of any help, but I also photographed the back of the 2 gang 2 way switch.

Just to clarify the problem that I'm having:

The upstairs hallway light should be able to be controlled from both the downstairs and upstairs light switch. I can turn the light on and on from downstairs, or on and off from upstairs.

However, if I use the downstairs switch to turn on the upstairs hallway light and then turn it off using the upstairs switch, I can't then turn it back on using the downstairs switch. I would have to turn it back on upstairs.

I hope this makes sense.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Ross

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back