Need suggestions on how to box in pipes in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - we are renovating a very tired small bathroom in our flat. It has a rather old toilet and basin that we are replacing with a close coupled toilet and basin and pedestal. There are small pipes behind the toilet and sink (which were previously boxed in) and there is a larger pipe coming from the bottom of the sink and going in behind the bath (obviously a drainage pipe??) Ultimately, I'd like to put beaded "tongue & groove" panels up to wainscot height along the one plain wall in the bathroom and carry it behind the toilet and sink. Can anyone suggest a tidy and fairly uncomplicated way to do this? Could I build a shallow frame for behind the toilet and sink to house cover the pipes successfully? Also, can anyone suggest where I might be able to find (reasonably priced!) MDF beaded panels? I've seen at B&Q and Homebase, but are very expensive. I've tried asking Jewson's but they didn't seem to understand what I was after. I must admit this is the first time I've renovated a bathroom before, so I want to make sure I get it right first time if I can!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
you need to decide exactly what look your after

you also need to think off access
you can plan with a shelf or areas for storage
you can plan a as flat as possible with raised areas to cover the bumpy bits
you can plan the the full depth off the deepest pipes

i personaly like boxing from 22mm pine with a lid overhanging the front by22mm that usually allows bog roll and cleaning stuff to sit on

For what it's worth we boxed our toilet in. Done in waterproof ply and covered in tiles although covering in pine boards is just as easy an option. The capping of the boxing was formed with two lift out lids to hide away bottles of bleach and the like (except the one I left on the window :oops: )
Anyway here's a shot or two to ilustrate what we did.

_IGP7071.jpg

_IGP7074.jpg

Sponsored Links
Pity you did not drop all the pipework to the floor or better still under it before tiling the floor. But If the new sink is to have a pedestal then move the waste and shoot it straight out through the wall directly under the sink and connect externally, the sink pipework should then tee'd off directly behind the pedestal just leaving the two pipes to box in which will only need a very narrow boxing, or lower them so you can just have a boxed skirting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back