Need to add Base/Shelf to Bottom of Carcass for Single Oven to Sit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to swap out my current gas double oven for a single oven. At the moment the double oven is in between two cupboards and is installed with two metal runners at the bottom and the oven slides into that, but the single ovens I’m looking at all seem to need a platform/shelf to sit on.

As I don’t actually have an oven carcass (it’s just a gap between two cupboards) and not sure that one will fit (as the width right now is approx. 600mm without a carcass), I was thinking of just adding a platform/shelf myself.

I just wanted to check what is the best type of material to use for having an oven sitting on it and also the best way of fixing it to the cupboards either side without risking it collapsing? EDIT: Having thought about this more I guess i just build a supported platform, just out of which material due to heat?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'd go for horizontal timber bearers screwed either side to the existing carcasses, and then form a shelf out of 22mm ply.
If you are concerned about ventilation, think about drilling some large holes in the shelf itself.
John :)

Slot in single ovens usually sit on timber or metal supports just fixed to the sides of the carcase,so only the edges are supported, no shelf required.

Slot in single ovens usually sit on timber or metal supports just fixed to the sides of the carcase,so only the edges are supported, no shelf required.

Interesting, I wont be able to use the ones i've got now as they will need to go as part of the oven, but I could just put two wooden battens down each side for support, however again, would it need to be a special kind of wood to protect from heat?

Sponsored Links
No special timber needed, the bottom edges of the oven are often pressed steel flanges which transmit virtually no heat.

The oven carcass in my old flat was 600mm wide outside, as was the front face of the oven. However the internal size of the carcass was thinner by the thickness of the two sides of the carcass, ie about 40mm thinner. The oven body was about 560mm, but the front face was 600mm and screwed into the wooden sides of the carcass. Therefore my oven wouldn't be able to be fitted in the manner you intend, without adding 'sides' to screw it into. Perhaps check the fitment if your new oven before you decide.

As per Allen comment.
A standard Oven cabinet is 600mm wide (outer dimension) so will fit in you space. It has a 600mm-18mm-18mm=562mm inner dimension that the oven body (<562mm) slides into. The oven door is then about 600mm wide to hide 18mm cabinet walls.
The oven is slid onto the white shelf (whose height is adjusted) shown in this link. For my electric oven, the oven base is designed to be cool and so no issue with heat on this shelf.
http://www.diy.com/rooms/cooke-lewis-white-oven-housing-base-cabinet-w600mm/1088692_BQ.prd
sfk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back